Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Smooth moves

"Why don't we crave healthy foods when we're drunk or hungover, why is it always high-calorie and high salt content foods?" I asked an argumentative looking Sud. I followed it up with an impression of myself, "I was sooo drunk last night, I can't believe I had that smoothie after the pub!"

We came up with our own theories, based only partially on fact but eventually decided that the answer would be found on the internet once we were home. Which is where we headed three pints later.

I woke in the morning displaying slight signs of a hangover, the dehydration was there along with a slight taste of dead hamster in my mouth. I set out for work and headed down the street, salivating at the numerous breakfast cafés I passed. The further I walked along the road, the stronger my cravings became - I imagined myself devouring a freshly fried piece of bacon sandwiched between two thick, white slices of bread along with a smattering of ketchup. My mind drifted and left this plain for I don't know how long before there was a 'CLANG!' as I walked straight into a metal advertising board. A slight "fuck" left my lips as I looked at the offending object, 'Take away one of our delicious smoothies' it read. I paused for a second and recalled the previous nights conversation, before I knew what I was doing I'd marched into the sandwich bar and said "One smoothie please".

As I waited for the smoothie, I recognised a local bouncer sitting at one of the tables, 'Funny' I thought, I wonder if this is a sign telling me that I'm being offered protection because of this healthy choice I'm making. I smiled slightly to myself at the outrageous thought but the smile turned to a laugh as three policemen walked in and also took a seat. Applying the same logic, this re-enforced the idea that I was on the right path. This was confirmed (no puns here) as two vicars entered the building shortly afterwards.

I sipped the smoothie as I strolled the rest of the way to work, the day seemed a little brighter and everyone seemed to be smiling. I'm looking forward to making a return trip tomorrow morning.

3 Comments:

At 5:57 pm, Blogger Will thought it was best to say...

Those police were probably in there looking for smoothie criminals.

BOOM

 
At 8:16 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

I think alcohol intake impacts upon various cellular fuctioning. Many of the essential fatty acids (EFAs: the good fats we get from fish and certain cooking oils) help repair and regulate cell function, and our cravings for fatty food may be our body attempting to rectify the damage done by alcohol, but not being able to accurately identify which fats it is that it wants. Kippers, anchovies and sardines would therefore be worth seeking out.

Smoothies will contain electrolytes (sodium, potassium, calcium), which are also key to happy cells.

So, any fruit and oily fish smoothie would leave you feeling tip top.

 
At 11:44 am, Blogger Annie thought it was best to say...

I don't know about smoothies but hangovers make us horny because our body thinks it's dying and it needs to reproduce BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home