Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A month off

Thirteen days into a month of not drinking and the pressure isn't as relentless as it was when I last took a month out, back in April 2008. From time to time I'm still asked why I'm not drinking, the question is usually accompanied by a shocked/surprised look similar to the look I imagine I'd see if I said I'd given up eating.

This time around I've noticed a strange side-effect, I seem to have taken responsibility for everyone else's actions during a night out and charged with remembering every detail.

Friend: Where did so-and-so go?
Curly: I don't know. He was here a minute ago.
Friend: How can you not know where he's gone? You're sober!

Friend #2: I just gave my discount card away, before buying the drinks!
Curly: I know, I just saw you do it, I thought it was a bit odd.
Friend #2:Why didn't you tell me I was doing it? You're sober!

A quick rant, ending in "IF you're going to carry on mentioning that I'm sober then I'm just not going to come out at all" seems to have stemmed the annoyance for the moment, despite the immediate response being "You're only saying that because you're not drinking".

2 Comments:

At 1:00 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

You should come up with some sort of uncomfortable God-bothering response: "I'm drunk on the love of our lord and saviour Jesus Christ."

 
At 6:33 am, OpenID coffeedrinkingwoman thought it was best to say...

What's the point of commenting, I ask you, when you have to follow that perfection of a comment?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home