Friday, January 23, 2009

A long time coming

I had a sneaking feeling that 2009 was going to be a good year, or at the very least a different year, but I had no idea that things would change so quickly.

I awoke to the new year with a fuzzy head and the slight taste of vodka still on my lips, taking a couple of seconds to figure out where I was - phew, it was my own bed. The previous night I'd promised my body that I'd take good care of it for a month after the NYE celebrations. Taking care of my body included no drinking, a resumption of regular exercise and the purchase of half a dozen books to re-start a brain that was getting to the stage where spoken sentences no longer came out in the right order (due to under-use).

A body free from alcohol combined with clear weight and reading targets for the month brought a tidal wave of calm. This was helped in no small way by my two female housemates spending time abroad until the middle of the month and plenty of camomile tea. Life became very relaxed, tasks at work were achieved considerably quicker than normal but with half the effort put into them - Absolutely nothing could faze me. I also had considerably more free time, a side-effect of things getting done faster and a reduction of hours spent in the pub. My free time became a time that I'd spend relaxing with a girl who'd I'd been seeing for a couple of months before Christmas, I enjoyed her company but had previsouly given no thought to seeing her more often. Slowly but surely, the frequency of our down-time spent together had increased and it seems fitting that a few days after my 27th birthday, three weeks into a new year and a couple of days before Dydd Santes Dwynwen, I managed to get my first ever girlfriend. I can't wait to have rows in front of my friends, use her as an excuse to go home early and spend hours shopping for shoes. That's what relationships are about, right?

7 Comments:

At 2:58 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

Wait, you're not gay?

Hmph.

 
At 12:17 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

I echo Huw's comment. I'm shocked.

 
At 12:32 pm, Anonymous Afe thought it was best to say...

I was totally gay for you.

 
At 12:40 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Well, never say never... but I'm not gay for the foreseeable future.

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger LĂ©onie thought it was best to say...

Course you're gay! Shoe shopping? Only gays buy shoes. Fact.

 
At 4:49 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Oh no! It's true. I bought two pairs this year as well!

 
At 5:44 pm, Blogger mo** thought it was best to say...

this is gonna sound cheesy, but I am so happy for you :) :) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home