Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's a small world

Some facts:
  • Wales is a small place and the city where I live, Cardiff, is even smaller.
  • I am occasionally loud and talkative.
  • I don't like staying in.
All of which contribute to me knowing quite a lot of people in the area. Monica and Huw witnessed one of my stop-start journeys through the city centre as I talked to people on our way to watch Wales play South Africa last November (Causing much eye-rolling from Monica). Although my ego performs a little fist-pump each time I bump into someone I know, it sometimes isn't such a good thing.

It's 9am and I'm walking up a street about ten minutes away from my house, my eyes haven't quite adjusted to the daylight and I'm still wearing the same clothes I wore to the pub the night before. Two girls I half-know walk past and smile in a "I know you but I'm not going to say hello" way*, I can only squint back at them because the sun is unfortunately in the same direction as they are. My brand-new Italian housemate is the next to see me, "Curly! How are you? I wondered if you were okay because I didn't see you this morning", I just said I was very tired and gave her a hug before I psyched myself up to start walking again, hoping I hadn't given a bad impression as a housemate already. I put my head down and hoped that I didn't see anyone else. Surely enough, a mere one hundred metres up the road I ran into a guy I lived with about a year ago and had hardly seen since then, he wasn't as worried about me as the Italian was. A big grin crept across his face, he knew full well what I had been up to. "Let me guess, quiet night at the local?" he asked, I tried to hide my smile but there was no point. I'd been busted. Despite my ego doing back-flips at that point, I wondered if I should be moving on and trying somewhere new again.





*Either that or in an "Oh bless, you look like shit" way.

2 Comments:

At 11:46 am, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

And sometimes you walk right past the people you know...

 
At 3:24 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

That's true, who knows how many people I completely ignore because I'm away on my own planet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home