Monday, April 07, 2008

On Nelly

In approximately a months time, I'll be celebrating the 4th anniversary of the creation of this bl*g. I say approximately because I can't actually pin-point the exact date in May 2004 that I created it, and even if I could it would probably be considered irrelevant as I didn't actually post anything until August. My first post was a picture of Nelly Furtado, 50% testing out this new bl*gging thing and 50% the first thought that came into my head. I used to talk about Nelly a LOT and my brain often operated like a flow-chart, dropping her name into any conversation.


I cringed a little when in London a week ago with some old friends. We were all laughing about the good times when my good friend, Donkey, said to me "Hey, remember that you used to be completely obsessed with Nelly Furtado? We bought you her CD for your 20th birthday, but you already had a copy. You were really embarrassed because you fancied her more than the girl you were smitten with, who was sat next to you" I had to admit that still had a thing for her six years later, but had managed to stop short of buying a poster of her to adorn my wall like a teenage girl might. My friends found this highly amusing and there were a few "Oh Curly" sighs, as if they were wondering if I'd ever grow up.

Another long-time friend named Sud also takes great delight in my Furtado conversations, for as much as I tell people about how her latest video looks great or latest song is at number one in the charts, he trumps everything I've said by telling everyone about the fun he used to have with Nelly in class in his middle school in Victoria, Canada. He only does this around me, just to see me seethe with jealousy.

Yet for all of this talk (and the mission-statement in my bl*g header) I've not lifted a finger or even so much as bought some lucky heather from the crazy woman walking the streets of Cardiff in an effort to meet her. The closest I've ever got was a few blocks away as she played a FREE concert at the 2004 Calgary Stampede - I was washing dishes in a downtown restaurant, my tears proved very useful for removing tough food stains.

I'm hoping that this year I'll be a little more industrious, otherwise there's not really much point in me carrying on writing here. Obviously I'll be stopping well short of stalking... that's for another bl*g perhaps.

4 Comments:

At 8:45 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

It has been a while since you've mentioned her.

Loved your chart. I think more post should have charts for easy understanding. I like it.

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger Crystal thought it was best to say...

i say go for the poster. however if you start rubbing your body against it every night before bed, please take it down and call the police department on yourself.

 
At 3:47 am, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman thought it was best to say...

I say go for the poster too - but unlike Crystal, I think if you should find yourself rubbing your body against it every night, you should videotape it, and post it on the blog...

 
At 2:11 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Kels - It's been too long, in my mind at least. I'm glad you liked the chart!

Crystal - I love how disturbing your comments are.

CDW - I didn't think that Crystal could ever be trumped... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home