Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Full Circle

Almost four years ago I was reaching the end of my tether with Cardiff life, I'd lived there for one and a half years and for almost that entire period I'd been partying, hard. Life was getting repetitive, friends were moving on and the huge house in which we'd spent so many good times was being vacated. It was a very definite end to a golden era of Cardiff life for those of us that'd been involved. Unwilling to hang around for the final parties, or the inevitable task of looking for new places to live - I decided to take a break from the city. Without a real clue to what I wanted to do, I quit my job and started looking for other cities to move to. Completely stuck for inspiration, by chance I came across a long-forgotten wedding invitation from my uncle - he was to be married in Halifax, Canada. Perfect, I thought - I'd take a couple of weeks out to visit Canada and then come back to resume the search for a place to live. My plans didn't quite work out the way I thought they would...

Nova Scotia

I spent the best part of a week in a wooden cabin right by the sea in Nova Scotia with a few members of my family. The fresh air and the excellent weather kept us outside and it was the perfect antidote to over-exuberance and the cramped living of city life. The wedding went smoothly and we were treated to some fine Nova Scotian traditions, which mainly revolved around eating and drinking heavily - perfect! The day after the wedding I flew over to the other side of the country, to Vancouver, to catch up with a friend. The remaining week of my holiday was of course spent in a big-city, partying. The penultimate day of my break was July 1st, which turned out to be Canada Day, and the biggest party of the year. I had such a great time on that day - I'd made a few friends and I really loved the Canadian approach to life. The next day I made a decision - I wasn't going to catch my flight home. I caught the bus to Calgary and turned up on another friends doorstep, asking if I could stay for "a little while"... Four months (and a lot of fun) later I decided it was time to go home.

On Thursday I'll be returning to Canada, to hit up Toronto this time. I'm going on holiday for two weeks, I've lived in Cardiff for a year and a half and life is repetitive..... but I'm sure I'll be back this time, I've got a good feeling about the approaching summer.

5 Comments:

At 7:02 pm, Blogger Cleavers thought it was best to say...

You know how I said the weather will be good? I may have been mistaken. We are currently back down to single digits with only a brief rise at the weekend, before it plummets again......

But then the Canadian weatherman is always wrong.....

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger Crystal thought it was best to say...

i am so jealous that you can just decide to go somewhere and, on a whim, decide to stay there.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

That amazes me. I'm having a hard time deciding to move an hour away.

Have so much fun!! Don't get arrested.

 
At 10:49 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Cleavers - Shit. I hope that last sentence is accurate...

Crystal - The idea of being able to do it is great, and it IS most of the time. But it does create an air of never quite being relaxed, wherever you are. Does that make sense? (I don't think it does)

Kels - You're deciding to move? Send me a mail if you need swaying in that direction! I'll try to avoid the authorities.

 
At 3:50 pm, Blogger Paige Jennifer thought it was best to say...

(sigh) I just look at that photograph and wish I could escape there. Peaceful. Calm. Perfect.

Have a great journey!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home