Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Lazy Daze

Yikes, two posts in the last month. Someone's been pretty busy.

January had actually been the best month I've had for a while (despite the other months being great too). People seemed to be emotionally and physically exhausting themselves all around me while I grew from strength to strength, I helped as much as I could and yanked a few of them up to the clouds with me. I was mainly just stoked to be travelling somewhere new again...

So it turns out that skiing wasn't done at all, upon arrival in Andorra I decided that snowboarding looked FAR cooler and I decided to take that up instead. Neal, and my groin, wholeheartedly supported this decision. Thanks to my ability to talk to random people, within an hour of arriving at the resort we'd managed to get in contact with an instructor who was willing to offer two of us snowboarding tuition for under half the price of the ski-schools (which were incidentally full of wankers). After a couple of days of instruction on the baby slopes we were told to get our arses up the mountain to board back down again - I took to it like a fish to water and after a few arse-bruising falls I'd pretty much nailed the technique and even managed to look a little bit cool while I was doing it. The top of the first mountain looked something like this:-


Over the next few days I went further into the mountains, faster down the slopes and had bigger crashes - the grin on my face grew as the slopes got steeper. It seems as though I love that shit. Nights out in Andorra are nothing special, most of my fears were realised - there were FAR too many men there, most of whom clung to the 'funniest' member of their group for fear of being ousted and ridiculed - usually by the 'funniest' one again. On the first night of snowfall, EVERY SINGLE CAR had a penis (or several) drawn on it, usually with British mens names written underneath. Thankfully two Spanish kids had got hold of a couple of windscreens and made me laugh with this...


Luckily, the tossers can be avoided as long as you hang around in more expensive bars or go further into the mountains, it wasn't hard to be rid of them. We found some really nice places to eat and drink just from wandering around aimlessly. Everything plodded along nicely and we all had a great time. Then, seemingly out of nowhere - This happened....

As much as I enjoyed watching Wales defeat England, my heart sank slightly because I hadn't enjoyed it with all my friends back in Cardiff. Watching the game in a hotel in a mountain resort in Andorra was nothing compared to watching it in the country where it meant so much and in the company of the people who I'd shared so many rugby-related cheers and tears with.

I arrived home after a 14 hour trip home the next day, exhausted but buoyed by the fact that so many people in Wales were still grinning after the rugby result. It never ceases to amaze me how much a game can seemingly affect the mood of a whole nation.

So, February's here, the rugby's hotting up and the Scots are in town on Saturday - I'm completely unnecessarily excited. It's also party season in Cardiff again.... I'll be packing a few extra batteries I think.

7 Comments:

At 9:56 pm, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

Andorra looks like my kinda place. I tried snowboarding once but spent the whole time face-down in the snow. Probably should have got lessons.

 
At 10:54 pm, Blogger Wierdo thought it was best to say...

Glad to see I'm not the only one not blogging frequently...

Although my lazyness does not compare to the amazing time you seem to have had. I wish I could go skiing.

You can't complain about missing the game if you were off in some far away country with snow. Its just unfair.

 
At 2:27 pm, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

That sounds ace... Presumably you took no fear with you up the mountains and just enjoyed the fact that there was no barbed wire waiting for you at the bottom, right?

Glad you had an amazing time.

 
At 5:30 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

So, do you snowboard goofy?

 
At 7:29 pm, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman thought it was best to say...

Hey, you sound like you're having loads and loads of fun! Most excellent!

 
At 11:20 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Afe - It's pretty cool (not a temperature joke). I arrived with the belief that I could snowboard without lessons, everyone persuaded me to get lessons - even a short 4 hours helped!!

Wierdo - Ah come on, I'm sure you've done some great things recently! It's just not the same watching the game in a non-rugby country.

Léonie - Completely correct, I'll take some of those cocky Spanish boarders up to Wales one day to see how snowboarding should REALLY be done.

Kels - Nope, regular - the same way I surf, I just couldn't compute doing it any other way.

CDW - Hello, not seen you in a while! I'm always trying to have fun!

 
At 9:58 am, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

I tried snowboarding once and ended up with purple and blue thighs and an ass you could cook an egg on.
i was awful :(
but it is fun!!!
glad you had such a lovely time.
hope feb is just as much fun for you!!!
wohoooooooooooooooooooooo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home