Monday, September 03, 2007

Two Things (Maybe three)

I've not had much to say recently, but here's a couple of things (maybe three) that I was thinking about as I wandered to work this morning. In a departure from standard practice, I'm going to put the second one first and then go on to tell you that they're listed in no particular order. I seem to enjoy over-complicating things. The third item (should I think of one) will probably go at the end.

2) I'm running very low on energy at the moment. I'm unable to find a reason for this but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to wake up in the morning, stay awake during the day and then stay awake in the early evening. My eyes are constantly heavy, I've started walking into things and becoming startled by not-particularly-loud noises. This could be contributed to my diet, the fact that there's nothing that has particularly grabbed my interest in the last few months, or my becoming a vampire at some point. The only time I do actually have energy is late at night and the early hours of the morning, which is ideal for partying (or hunting for fresh blood) but not convenient when I'm trying to recharge myself for work in the morning.

1) At the beginning of the summer I was worried that the social side of things here in Cardiff would take a nose-dive as the universities closed for the summer and a few mates moved back west to recuperate for a couple of months. These events actually had the reverse effect as I got into contact with friends from three or four years ago and partied with them, even harder than before (I hadn't seen them for ages - what did you expect?!). The thing is, we're almost back up to a full complement again (Mates have moved back down, Uni starts again in a couple of weeks) but invites to social gatherings have dropped remarkably - I think this is related to my second point about tiredness (see above). I've declined invites on a few occasions recently and stuck to soft drinks on others, saying things like "I'm too tired" or "I can't be fucked" (depending on how tired I am, tiredness also induces swearing) and I reckon that I'm just not being asked to go out any more. Although slightly disappointed, It's probably for the best*.

3) After much deliberation I'm going to go ahead with the third point. This is a very, very negative thing to say (most unlike me) and is probably a combination of the above two points (sort of). Outside of my friends, I haven't met anyone that interests me for AGES**. In the last couple of months I can recall three 'new' people with whom I've had a conversation that has really inspired me:-
  • A conversation about musical tastes with Afe in a pub in London.
  • A conversation about the merits of living in Cardiff and the state of stand-up comedy with a 64 year old Scot and his wife in a pub in St.Davids.
  • A conversation about horses with a girl named Ellie in a pub in Cardiff.
  • There was also a conversation with a horse while I was completely out of my tree, somewhere near a beach in West Wales at 2am - but I don't think that counts.
This is completely out of the ordinary, usually I'm all about getting to know people and talking to them non-stop until it's time for one of us to go. Instead I've just been losing interest, making my excuses and walking off. I think I'm becoming more fussy about who I talk to, which can't be a good thing.



*It's sentences like that that make me think I should go and buy a pipe and sit in front of an open fire with a hot drink for the evening.

** Excluding Afe and his other half, who made me laugh and then take a bath with a giraffe. Zany.

3 Comments:

At 10:56 am, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

Something I've been doing, especially in the years since leaving Uni, is rediscovering some of my older friends who I'd kept close but had maybe taken a little for granted. Some of those guys have some depth.

 
At 6:41 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

Eh- if it makes you feel less old, I have had many conversations with friends about how if we could be in bed by midnight on Friday-- it has been an awesome night. You know, because I get up on Saturday and go to farmer's markets. Yep, I am officially old and boring. I'm enjoying it. Of course, I could use a nap about now.

Oh! And my word verification is oldux. Even the word verification thinks I'm old.

 
At 12:15 am, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

Why did I interest you? WHY?

But seriously, I forget what we talked about. Something to do with Kasey Chambers I recall vaguely. It was all so long ago now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home