Friday, September 07, 2007

RWC

I love rugby. Everyone in Wales loves rugby. To quote Hugh Pugh "In fact, if you're Welsh and don't like rugby, you're considered to have a mental disease" and are sent to the Fishguard Mental hospital.

Every week I become excited (and often nervous) watching the Scarlets play in either the Celtic League, the Anglo-Welsh cup or the European trophy.


Every February, early summer and autumn I get even more excited (and even more nervous) watching Wales compete in the Six Nations, their summer tour and the autumn series.


Once every four years, there's an event which gets the whole nation going.... Tonight (Friday) the sixth Rugby World Cup kicks off in France. I am a bundle of excitement (and nerves). I will remain in that state for the next five weeks, punctuated by the occasional plummet into depths of despair as Wales do something incomprehensibly awful. There are twenty teams taking part. If you're Argentinian, English, Welsh, Canadian, Georgian, Namibian, Romanian, Tongan, Irish, Fijian, Italian, Kiwi, Samoan, American, Scottish, Australian, French, Japanese, Portuguese or South African then you'll all have someone to cheer for.


This lot will probably win it, but I had a dream last night which involved their coach, Graham Henry, in tears after losing in the final to France - who have a very good chance of winning the whole event themselves.

6 Comments:

At 1:21 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

I know I should be for France, and well in the long run I am..but there is something about those "all blacks" that makes me sway!
should be fun!!

 
At 2:56 pm, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

The whole thing would appeal to me much more if I was allowed to lick the players. But, as my parole officer takes such delight in pointing out, that is "not considered polite (or legal)".

Some people have no sense of fun.

 
At 5:20 am, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

But what if you are half American and half Australian. You live in America but your Australian half actually cares about rugby, even though your cousin just had his eyebrow rebuilt because of a rugy injury???

I think that means I just cheer for the team with the cutest players.

 
At 5:09 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Mona - You SHOULD be supporting France, yes. But of course it's all down to who looks the best at the end of the day.

Léonie - I suppose you could introduce some sort of licking world cup players league. But there's already overcrowding in jails, so that wouldn't really help.

Kels - I'd cheer for Australia if I was you, there's a lot more to cheer about in terms of rugby! Imagine if, on your trip to Oz, mention that you were supporting the USA, I don't think it'd go down well!

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

So true, there is already a little feud about what football team the differnt cousins vote for. I choose the one with the cutest hat.

 
At 11:46 pm, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

One of the kiwis here just told me he wants to have 22 children, enough for an entire squad plus reserves. He's missing a finger and brain tissue, has broken all of his bones save those in his ear, and smiles a nearly toothless grin. This is why the all blacks will win, they live for rugby and for no other reason.
Still, I'll pull for Wales. I didn't even know that Americans bothered playing rugby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home