Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Rugby, innit?

Last weekend went exactly as I planned, I arrived at my friend Eirian's house at 6pm when we sat down, switched on the 52" TV and opened a beer. I remained there all weekend (bar a party on Saturday night and a 40mins period of feeling immenesly rough on Sunday) and watched wall to wall rugby. Once the rugby was finished, we talked about the rugby. People came and went during the weekend, bringing in supplies of beer and snacks. Eirian's girlfriend cooked us fried breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday morning and we generally had a cracking time!

Highlights from the weekend included:
Argentina upsetting France
New Zealand thrashing Italy and putting 30 points on them in a ridiculous amount of time (15mins if I remember)
USA putting in an admirable effort against England, despite finally losing.
Canada scaring Wales by winning at half time, Wales demolished them after the break.

Some people are of the opinion that nine games of rugby over a three day period was too much, but I disagree and I made the trek to Swansea on Tuesday night to watch my beloved Scarlets beat our bitter rivals, the Ospreys. It was a crap game but there we go, you've got to see the bad ones to appreciate the good ones, right?

One of my favourite fixtures is approaching this Saturday - Wales v Australia. Other than being in a World Cup, this match has the added bonus of being played in Cardiff. I really like having all the Aussies in town, they mill around with an air of arrogance but once the result has been decided they're usually happy to get as drunk as the rest of us and have a party afterwards!

It's going to be another long weekend...

7 Comments:

At 1:15 pm, Blogger Wierdo thought it was best to say...

I've become very nervous after reading that. I forgot about australia. Till now it was just a rugby game. Now its Australia. Please let us thrash them...

 
At 2:06 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

How crazy was the England South AFrica game last night...bet the welsh are pretty happy!

 
At 11:32 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

curly!!
how bad did France kick ass yesterday!! yeyeyeyey

I'm liking le rugby!

 
At 3:52 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Wierdo - As you probably know by now, there was no thrashing... We lost, as expected but it happens -right?!

Mona - The Welsh sent many text messages to English friends, the Welsh were grinning but felt slightly sorry for the English team.

Mona 2 - France were wonderful again! Glad you're enjoying the rugby - it's certainly making for an expensive month here in Cardiff....

 
At 4:53 pm, Blogger LĂ©onie thought it was best to say...

I can't believe she cooks for you all. She seemed so normal when I met her.

(I have nothing to add on the sport front. Except that I like how much it delights you.)

 
At 3:57 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

What, Aussies like to party? no way ;-)

 
At 11:48 pm, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

That sounds like a splendid way to spend the weekend to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home