Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Micro-seconds?

What's an acceptable length of time that you can make a pun or a joke about something that another person has just said?

i.e.

Person no. 1 : My dad is an avid gardener, the other day he was outside painting his new fence green. He tripped over a rake, fell over and as he tried to break his fall he stuck his hand straight in the tin of paint!

Person no.2 : I suppose you could say that your Dad really does have Greenfingers then!

Say it quick enough, and you'll get a chuckle... but leave it until a few seconds later and people will invariably laugh at you for taking so bloody long, no matter how funny it might have been.

If I know that there's a joke somewhere, my internal 'Punnernator' (?) goes into overdrive and for a few seconds my mind will be completely occupied with trying to crack a joke - sometimes I time it right and I'll get a laugh, other times I just know that I'm too late and I'll shut up (unless I'm drunk, when I'll tell you whether you like it or not).

Your thoughts please.

7 Comments:

At 12:15 am, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

there is definitely a time fram for a pun-- however, you get to add time when drinking is involved. There is a curb.

 
At 2:45 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

people never laugh at my jokes, they do however laugh at me...I on the other hand am a constant giggler ..30seconds, five min..makes no difference to me...99% are the odds that I will laugh.

basically what I'm trying to say is that I have no advice to give.

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger Mister Underhill thought it was best to say...

For puns? That time frame is zero seconds.

 
At 6:32 am, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

If I think of something too late, then I just save it for later. I'll retell the story as my own with another group of people and add in that I punctually said the zinger.

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Kels - Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that... when you're drunk you try and work it in at every opportunity though, even when it's not appropriate! Or is that just me?!

Mona - I've laughed at your jokes before, I think.. ;) That's good that you'll laugh anyway, whatever the time frame!

Mr.Underhill - For the PERFECT pun, it'd be zero seconds..! Less perfect, put still acceptable could take longer.. I guess.

Neal - I do that too, it's good to save it just incase another opportunity to 'pun' reveals itself, sometimes that takes years though.

 
At 8:43 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

Luckily, it seems funnier for longer. Or I might just be the girl who gets the giggles :-)

 
At 9:45 am, Blogger Alina thought it was best to say...

Well, it also depends on other two things:

1. How drunk the others are :D
2. If other people before you are cracking jokes (different from yours) on the same topic. In such cases, you can jump in at any time, it will still have great chances of being funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home