Thursday, June 14, 2007

Londres\Llundain\Londain\Lundúnir

*Subheading, I've run out of post title ideas - so what*

Yesterday afternoon I found myself walking lazily along the Thames, the humidity had slowed me down to almost a snail's pace in order to avoid inducing sweating. The jeans, t-shirt and shirt combination I'd opted for was well suited to the slightly cooler, damper air in Cardiff but was by no means suitable for travelling around the city on the underground. My decision to get out of the tube and walk was helped in no small way by two large Canadian women who, with considerably more weight to lug around than I, were giving off a considerable amount of extra heat as they plonked themselves on the seats next to me. After two stops, one Canadian had decided that her seat wasn't big enough, so she overspilled into mine - the heat (never mind the sweat) was unbearable and (much to the amusement of a girl sat opposite) I jumped off at the next station.

When I surfaced from the caverns below, I discovered that I was very close to the houses of parliament, I went for a quick gander and then decided that I'd better go and see a few more of the sights that London had to offer. Within a couple of hours I'd seen Big Ben, the (outside of the) Tate Modern, St.Pauls cathedral (if you've never seen scaffolding before, you'll LOVE this place) and numerous streets from the original Monopoly game. Street entertainers entertained, tourists toured, the locals drank beer and read books on benches by the water, boats chugged up and down the river and death-defying cyclists weaved in and out of the traffic in the most awkward fashion, neither them or the car drivers giving an inch in the battle to move forwards.

Guessing that the rush hour was now over, I descended back into the tube and was magically whizzed away to the more familiar surroundings of Clapham, in the south of the city. I sat outside a pub armed with a pint of Guinness and a copy of 'London Lite', which I preferred to steal from the table rather than take from one of the vendors who seemed to want to ram a copy straight down my throat. As I sat there waiting for my friends to arrive, I recounted what had happened that afternoon. I'd been asked for money twice, had given train/underground information three times, given directions once, flirted with two girls, smirked tens of times on the tube, had numerous people to invite to join me, ordered one beer, I came to the conclusion that all PA's were Antipodean, all bar staff were either Antipodean or Eastern European and spent about £10 all together.... I thought to myself...

"Yeah, I could do this"

14 Comments:

At 2:12 pm, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

Was it the Glow Lounge? Why are you in London? And what does this all mean?

 
At 2:46 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

It wasn't the Glow Lounge, it was, as the locals call it, 'The Alex'.

It's a secret.

It means that your time on earth will be up soon.

 
At 8:27 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

That sounds like a really nice day... well, other than riding with the Canadians who wanted to share your seat. I think it is time I took a trip.

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

:)

London it is then??

 
At 10:55 pm, Blogger Will thought it was best to say...

My God, I was dashing along the south bank to get to the Tate Modern yesterday evening too!

I imagine if we'd bumped into each other, you'd have decided on London for definite there and then.

 
At 10:51 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Kels - Even sharing body-heat (unequally) with the Canadians was fun, at least I got a story out of it, right? I think it's time you took a trip too!!

Mona - Quite possibly, I'll have to think uf a dastardly plan now.

Will - I was attempting to get hold of your phone no. (texting Huw), but to no avail. You'll have to mail it to me for next time! I probably would have decided on London if we'd bumped into eachother!

 
At 6:06 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

I tell you, Curly, you'll never get bored in London, so you really never have to strip off and run around Facebook naked? If you move to London the first authentic Dutch pancake is on me! We'll have it Holborn.

 
At 6:07 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

And no cutlery nor napkins will be allowed, it will just a battle between the plate and your mouth! ;)

 
At 9:57 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

So, ironically, I was pricing fares for my Christmas trip to the land down under and it looks like my layover will be in London.

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Astrid x2 - Sounds like a good idea to me, I think my mouth would win - I've trained it well.

Kels - That's excellent! I'll come and say hello if you do stop over!

 
At 12:57 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

You need to be careful of walking along the Thames in June: it's London at its most seductive. It's like chasing girls in the summer when they have tans and aren't wearing a lot of clothes. October comes round and you realise you've bagged yourself a ruffian!

 
At 10:34 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Fair point Huw, I wouldn't have said that it was a particularly seductive day though. It was warm and muggy yet there was no sight of the sun at all - That to me is the worst type of weather, give me October time any day!

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger Monica thought it was best to say...

Plus London has the best bloggers.

 
At 7:43 pm, Blogger Crystal thought it was best to say...

i want to do that! even the sweaty canadian part. i am jealous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home