Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Weekends

I haven't really kept up to date with the exciting adventures mentioned in my bl*g header, so I suppose I'd better fill you in with some of the details from the last few weekends. Grab a hot drink and take a (long) breather...

Three weeks ago

I awoke, with a massive hangover, on Saturday morning and fired off a number of texts to various people around Cardiff to see who was in the mood for getting a fried breakfast and then finding something to do around town. No-one had responded within half and hour so I instead texted my brother in Southampton to see if he was busy, he got back to me straight away and as a result - won the competition (The competition that I'd not told anyone about). Three hours later, I was in a Southampton catching up with not only my brother but a bunch of old uni friends and funnily enough, Si and Charles of Phaelon fame - who happened to be in Southampton at the same time. We reminisced about all the places we used to visit when we lived there and then we actually visited them and drank beer inside. Our night culminated in a trip to the ultra-studenty 'Kaos' nightclub, home of the "Three pukes and you're out" rule and the reason our clothes were always covered in black stuff on a Wednesday night. Kaos had actually cleaned up a little since I had last been (about three years previously), but it was entertaining all the same.

On the Sunday, my brother and I took a bus out of the city and found ourselves at a very local steam fair. At least, I think it was a steam fair - there were classic cars, beer tents, burger stands, a carnival queen and heaps of steam engines either driving around or powering farm machinery. It looked kind of like this. :-

Several Steam engines drove round at about 3 mph

If Carlsberg made beer tents...

Just to highlight how local this was... who's Mark? And why is it so good to get handled by him?

We stayed far too long mainly because our attempts at sounding like locals and blagging our knowledge of steam engines, with such as phrases as "Wow, so what's that stuff coming out of the chimney on that tractor?" and "Where does the petrol go?", went so well that we had everyone convinced we were massive steam enthusiasts. It was actually really nice just wandering around and sniggering at the local-ness of it all. We managed to get ourselves invited to a barbeque at the end of the day and after that we headed back into the city and I travelled back to Wales, sunburnt, dirty from all the steam and full of good food.

Two weeks ago

This weekend wasn't so eventful. We got horribly drunk on the Friday, so much so that nobody that I've asked since can recollect the evening at all - but it was probably fun. Saturday was spent watching rugby, lying face down on the sofa (moaning about our hangovers) in the pub all day and watching a band. Our bodies were aching all over but we enjoyed it all the same. During the week I'd attempted to have a bbq every day, Sunday was my fifth of the week. I thought that was pretty good going seeing as it had rained on the two days that I didn't have one.

This weekend

This was the best one yet. A few quiet beers and some ridiculous conversations on a Friday evening in the pub was a nice relaxing way to end the week. I woke up on Saturday feeling great, and that feeling continued throughout the weekend - mainly because I was in the company of a lovely young lady. We milled around, told plenty of uncle-style jokes and generally had a wonderful time. Saturday evening brought with it the first (and unfortunately last) party at Phaelon Towers, the six residents were finally moving out after a three year stint and decided to go out with a bang, 'Phaelonpalooza' was the result. At the height of the party we were told that between 35 and 40 people were squeezing themselves into the Towers - I can't remember how many hours we spent in there but we managed to consume lots of cheap gin and steal a fair few beers as well, a success in my opinion.

Residents of Phaelon Towers

An alarming amount of ties in the kitchen

The Sunday I spent with the girl again, more wandering aimlessly was done. She's mentioned the heron and the swans but much to my annoyance, didn't actually mention the best bit - the ducks. The ducks were just magnificent, with their advanced swimming methods, attractive green heads and er... their amazing webbed feet. I loved the ducks, they were probably the highlight of my day to be honest. She left in the early evening and I was suddenly plonked back into the real world again, I suddenly realised that a whole weekend had vanished without me even realising. Unable to think of what to do next, I decided to go and get my fill of manliness and headed to the pub for a weekend wind-down with some friends, a couple of beers, a takeaway curry and then home for several episodes of Father Ted.

Lovely.

6 Comments:

At 1:16 pm, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

There's no way I'd go to the back field with Mark. That guy's been arrested several times for 'Horse Logging'.

 
At 6:59 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

Wow, you've been busy. It sounds great. I am sitting here trying to decide exactly how much I want to do this weekend because I cannot have three weekend in a row where there was no nap. I can be so lazy sometimes. It's awesome.

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

We were at the party for seventeen hours, and we stole thirty-six trillion cans of beer.

Oh, and I read the word 'heron' as 'heroin' and thought vacantly that I didn't really remember that bit.

 
At 10:26 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Afe - he is a dangerous man, I'm sure of it.

Kels - It's nice to be ultra lazy sometimes, in fact I'd agree with you and say that it is actually Awesome!

Léonie - Where you got that habit of blatantly lying from, I just don't know.

 
At 4:41 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

take away curry?
I'm moving to Cardiff asap just for that!

 
At 12:57 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Do you not have that in France?!

They always give you too much curry as well, there's always leftovers for the next day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home