Thursday, June 07, 2007

London

I can't stand the place for more than three days in a row, it's dirty, expensive, it smells funny and there are FAR too many people there. Yet, I find myself seriously considering moving there.

Why am I considering doing such a stupid thing?

I have a decent job, it takes me 20mins to walk to work. That walk takes me through two parks and the majority of the time is spent on the laid back, happy, student ant-trail to Uni. I only moved back to Cardiff in November because I was missing it so much. There aren't too many people here, there are enough bars and restaurants to keep *insert name of famous alcoholic* happy. I get to see most of the games that the Welsh rugby team play in the Millennium Stadium, which is only 25mins from my house.

I have a track record of getting bored of wherever I'm living and moving on after a certain period of time, I've never lived in a city as large as London (the largest in fact has been Calgary which, population wise, is about an eighth of that of London).

The rent and general cost of living here is relatively low (London is about the fifth most expensive city in the world), and draws a gasp from most Southern England residents when they hear how much we pay for the same services. A round of four beers in the local will set you back an ALMIGHTY £5.

From Cardiff, you can be in the Brecon Beacons national park within 30mins drive, the Gower (Britains very first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) within an hour, the beaches of the Gower and North Devon are not too long away either. It's a laid-back place, there are only a few 'posh' or 'scabby' placed, most places are in between - which is fine.

I have no idea why I want to move, but the thought is occupying my head more and more - with several friends offering places to live or help to find new jobs (if I need one), and others are being even MORE helpful and offering to buy me beer and get me drunk in lots of new bars.

Any tips/funny jokes/offers of beer, would be much appreciated.

9 Comments:

At 3:15 pm, Blogger Crystal thought it was best to say...

what do you call a dog with no legs?







anything you want. he ain't comin.

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger Annie Rhiannon thought it was best to say...

Go for it. Then I'll be able to come for blonky meet-ups without breaking my Cardiff thingy.

 
At 5:23 pm, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

I'll give you a job as my anti-depressant dancer. Every time I feel depressed I'll just turn my head to you, at which point you will perform a jig. I'll pay you £1 per jig, plus a nightly beer retainer.

 
At 8:44 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

Didn't you just move??

Eh- go for it. You got to love an adventure. Plus, I love London. Not that I reallllyyy get an opinion.

 
At 10:59 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

moving isn't always a solution, especially if you're moving to a place you don't really like, but then again who wants to lead a continuously "safe" life? Maybe you should move to Australia or Ireland? or Canada? or ...well anywhere, why limit yourself to London? I'm sure you could find jobs in all these places...

 
At 11:42 am, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

You probably shouldn't take advice from a guy who decided to hide at the official furthest point from reality for two straight years, but I think you should go for it. Cardiff will be there when/if you're ready to go back.

 
At 1:09 am, Blogger Ordovicius thought it was best to say...

Any ideas for the Welsh Blog Awards 2007?

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

Boo London. I can see the appeal of the place, but the thing about it is that it consumes a person. London is a living thing that eats souls. Have you ever walked home from the pub, two or three too many beers swimming in your head, and thought: "I am the king of this place. Me and my friends are the princes and princesses of Wales." That sounds weird, but I'll bet you know the feeling. London will never give you that. London will take all your energy and ask you to step aside for all the other souls desperate to give themselves to the place.

 
At 10:34 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Crystal - Excellent, although I can't help thinking that, coming from yourself, the joke might be a bit dirty?

Annie - I want you to break your Cardiff thingy, at least you'll get a post out of it.

Afe - You're on. I've been practising my jigs, and beer consumption, recently.

Kels - Yes, I have just moved (Last November I think), that was AGES ago. I still value your opinion, don't worry about it!

Mona - I reckon that's it, Cardiff is too 'Safe'. But then London is too 'Dirty'. Moving may not be helpful, but it's fun!

Neal - I like that, Cardiff WILL still be there when I'm ready to go back. Unless there's some freak accident...

Ordovicius - Nope, but I'll think of someone.

Cope - I do know that feeling but maybe, just maybe... I could be the Prince of London if I work hard enough at it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home