Tuesday, April 03, 2007

No Smoking Please

April 2nd (Or April 1st, I wasn't really paying attention) saw a new law applied in Wales, which has banned smoking in:-
  • ALL enclosed and substantially enclosed public places. These include licensed premises; bingo halls; betting shops; cafes; and amusement centres. Smoke Free premises must remain smoke free outside of opening hours.
  • If you use your home for business, any areas where members of the public may enter, must be smoke free.
  • All public transport - including taxis and all Company Vehicles.
  • Private vehicles during work times, if using to transport clients or colleagues.
Now, this law doesn't yet apply to England. As you ALL know, we're not the same place - we have a National Assembly that pretty much does eff all (Only joking Assembly, you do build nice buildings for yourself) but this has been one of their great achievements so far.

Wandering into my local pub yesterday evening, the air was noticeably cleaner. The pub seemed brighter, you could see the ceiling clearly and no-one looked too edgy after not getting their nicotine fix. I inhaled deeply, I inhaled nothing but fresh air - it was excellent!

We then wandered down to the Barfly to check out People in Planes, the Cardiff Barfly is a dark and dingy little place. The walls are almost black and there's usually a thick smog in there from all the indie-kids puffing away. We kept repeating "Oh wow, it's so nice there's no smoke in here anymore". Halfway through the (impressive) gig, I decided to take a big, deep breath of fresh air again... This time, I didn't react in the same way, I coughed and spluttered as my nasal passages filled with an overwhelming amount of BO and a particularly nasty fart which someone had decided to release into the room, just that instant.

I'm not quite sure where I stand on the ban now.

8 Comments:

At 8:16 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

At least your clothes won't be penetrated with smoke down to your unmentionables.

 
At 8:32 am, Blogger Peter D Cox, TMPL thought it was best to say...

A number one reason for not going to the Barfly to see sometimes great music was the smoke (not always healthy, legal stuff either). Now they can sort out the second reason: the floor which consists entirely of a viscous substance that both clings to the feet and repels the senses.

Asking my partner about the state of the gents he said: "the only distinguishing feature between here and there is a urinal along one wall". 'Nough said.

 
At 9:58 am, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

Yes! I love no smoking laws. They are my favourite of all laws.

 
At 10:40 pm, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

My favourite of all laws is the Get Léonie Treats law, passed about thirty seconds ago, but with immediate effect.

Thing is, though, how will we be big and clever if we can't smoke? My smack consumption is going to go right up, I can tell you.

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

I like smoke free bars. If I ever catch a whiff of somebody's fart, I just return the favor.

 
At 4:21 pm, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

Where you stand? Not so close to everyone else in the bar, since you can smell them now...

 
At 4:57 pm, Blogger Will thought it was best to say...

Fresh air in pubs? That's mental.

 
At 12:55 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Kels - Yes, I'd rather not mention my legs too much.

Peter D - Part of the attraction of the Barfly was the down to earth people who didn't mind watching (sometimes terrible) music in a sweaty, smokey, smelly environment - Who knows what type of person would come in if it is all cleaned up?

Afe - I like those laws too, although I also like 24hr drinking laws.

Léonie - I'll see what I can do with regards to treats, perhaps you'd like some more smack?

Neal - You're a gentleman.

Teri - Sometimes there just isn't a choice and you're face is forced into the armpit of the person stood immediately in front of you.

Will - It's not actually fresh, we've also noticed that pub carpets have absorbed beer, sick, and all sorts of other things over the years. The smoke covered up the smell of that too... yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home