Monday, March 05, 2007

An adventure with pants

My weekend has been spent being late for launch parties by drinking too much gin, dancing in the students union, vegging in friends houses, not going home and going to the pub.

A weekend full of activities then, but Monday morning brought with it a bit of a shock - I hadn't done a single bit of laundry on the weekend, more specifically I hadn't washed any pants (British use of the word, Yanks and Aussies) or socks. This left me with a number of decisions to make:-

a) Re-use the pants I was wearing the day before
b) Go commando
c) Not go to work at all, and do my laundry instead
d) Wear the only items of underwear left, some red, flowery, novelty silk boxers from Thailand.

I'm not a fan of re-using underwear unless it's really necessary, so A was ruled out pretty quickly. B has been done many times before but it's not ideal when you like wearing old, comfortable jeans with holes in them, as I do. I might avoid work if there was a real emergency, like snow days, but C definitely wouldn't stand up as an argument for taking a day off. I was left with one decision, the novelty boxers.

The nice, smooth feel of the material was initially pleasing, I even made a sort of 'swishing' sound when I walked. But, Pulling on my jeans and walking to work reminded me why I never wore the bloody things, the heat was unbearable and I knew that at some point during the day, sweating would occur. Every movement (along with over-heating the boys) was making the elastic waistband ride further and further up my torso, it finally settled half-way up my stomach which meant that I was flashing the bright red monstrosities (the boxers...) every time I stood up/sat down/put a coat on/took my coat off.

The novelty boxers were only a temporary measure however, I ran out to buy some more underwear once I was in town. I'm not too familiar with shopping for underwear, Christmas presents usually cover the bulk of my collection. I was disappointed to find that Marks & Spencer's had a HUGE lingerie section but men's underwear was restricted to two shades of grey boxers in one small corner of the room. I tried a couple of other shops and grabbed anything that looked like it'd fit me, I haven't checked my purchases yet - I'm REALLY hoping that none of them are made of silk.

11 Comments:

At 4:30 pm, Blogger christianoshi thought it was best to say...

My Aussie friend wore silk boxers until his British girlfriend banned them. I can't think of anything worse, personally.

Your prediciment is familiar to me. I would never contemplate B as I always seem to get a hardon at the most inopportune of moments (such as in a meeting). Only my five or so pairs of boxer-briefs would prevent its visibility, which not only rules out D but also the baggier boxers at the bottom of my drawer.

I'd go for A basically 'cos I'm filth! And I can recommend Primark for a cheap, comfy pair of pants in a wide range of colours.

 
At 4:42 pm, Blogger Wierdo thought it was best to say...

I live with 3 boys and they often update me on their boxer "situation" such as going comando or re-using dirty ones for the n-th time. To my utmost delight of cousre.

I'm glad you chose D but glad also that you bought new ones instead because silk sounds like a horrible material for underwear!

 
At 4:46 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Oshi - Indeed, silk boxers are NOT comfortable.

I've never been to Primark (I don't think), I might check it out the next time I'm in desperate need of clothes! Cheers.

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Wierdo - Boys are disgustoids remember, especially student boys. We enjoy winding girls up with our disgusting-ness too.

 
At 2:47 am, Blogger Melissa thought it was best to say...

Well, if you have to be late, I can't think of better reasons than those you outlined.

There's nothing worse than realizing you have no fresh pants (British usage). Depending of course on where exactly the holes in the jeans are, I'd have to opt for B.

 
At 11:21 pm, Blogger Annie Rhiannon thought it was best to say...

Gin: baby in every glass.

 
At 4:38 am, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

My husband once called in sick because he had no clean pants - which I mentioned to my then-boss, who said "well EVERYONE knows that you just turn them inside out and they are good for another day!" Which left me in hysterics....

 
At 10:19 pm, Blogger moonchadz thought it was best to say...

can you call girls underwear pants too? or does it just refer to boxers??

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

Silk pants! Fancy! It would have been even better if they'd been sequinned...

 
At 10:00 am, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

Silk undies are the sort of thing a guy should only put on when he goes to "slip into something more comfortable" at the end of a date...at which point he's hopefully only wearing them for about 3 minutes anyway.

 
At 2:35 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Melissa - Hmm, holes in my jeans appear in dodgy places. And I don't buy new jeans all that often.

Annie - I've never got that saying.

Teri - That's a great reason to call in sick. But your boss was right, that's awesome!

Mona - I think it's restricted to Mens underwear generally. 'Pants' is also used to describe something that's 'crap'. The mind boggles.

Léonie - Sequinned silk pants, not good for random Underwear inspections when drinking. (Are my friends that only people that do that?)

Neal - That would be class. I can imagine bringing a girl back then strutting into the room wearing silk pants. That's hilarious, I'm gonna do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home