Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Gay* Valentines Post

Yippee, my 3rd favorite day of the year.

(You might want to get a cloth and wipe all that sarcasm from your computer screen).

Ah, fond memories of being encouraged by my primary school teacher to write a little poem in a red card, draw a rose (or perhaps a heart) and secretly send it to one of the girls in the class. The girls in the class avoided me like the plague in Primary school, I was even given one card back once the girl in question found out who had sent it.

Secondary school, the girls were interested in the boys and vice versa. The cards actually began to mean something when they were sent. I sent one valentines card in my entire seven years at Secondary - I managed to obtain some red card and even write a funny poem, I eventually sent it to no-one but the bin.

By the time I'd left school - I'd refused to participate in any kind of valentines activity, I'd go to lengths to ensure I was nowhere near it. It meant absolutely nothing to me and I loved the fact that it had no effect on my life whatsoever.

In recent years, it's caught up with me again. Today is a day when pretty much all of my male friends are busy with their respective ladies. All but two of my mates are in a relationship at the moment. I occasionally catch myself worrying slightly at the fact that I'm now 25 years old and haven't had a girlfriend in that entire period. (The closest I'd previously got was with a girl from Leicestershire who moved to the isles of Scilly shortly after we'd kissed for the first time... you couldn't script it). But happily, the concern is always just a fleeting thought and I revert to my 'I love being single' mode again within no time.

V.Day is a day where Love is pretty much in your face the entire day and I can't help but think - Why the hell don't I have a girlfriend? Do I even want one? It's not to say that I'm shit with women, because I get my fair share. It's not to say that no girls are interested in me, because enough are - I'm just not interested in those ones. It's got to work both ways, right?

In other news:-
  • In an effort to feel more popular than normal, I've joined facebook - I've been playing with it for the last couple of days. I don't understand it and I'm slighty scared by how many people I know on it.
  • I've just had a glass of cool orange juice and stood by the window looking out at the brilliant, warm sunshine, I could almost feel the summer again....
  • I foolishly challenged all the guys at work to beard-growing contest for the month of February. Fourteen days in and I'm the only one left in it, I feel pressured to make it until the end of the month without shaving. As a result of my facial hair, I can't smile without it hurting... people keep asking me what's wrong. I've had loads of "Why aren't you smiling? You ALWAYS smile", or similar comments.

ps. I hadn't aimed for this to come out as a 'Boo-Hoo, poor me' post, but it has. Sorry. Happy Valentines!!

* Are we officially allowed to use 'Gay' to describe something that's crap yet?

12 Comments:

At 8:16 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

Too bad you can't smile with the growing beard- I'm sure it's really cute.
and I can NOT wait for summer- vacation- sun- sleep!!!

and of course, may as well- Happy Valentines day!!! (and you're not 100% gay in this post- I promise ;)

 
At 8:19 am, Blogger Annie Rhiannon thought it was best to say...

I too have recently joined facebook. Oshi described it as "MySpace without the personality".

 
At 9:27 am, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

Valentine's Day IS gay.

 
At 11:22 am, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

Just live your life happily and I am convinced love will come your way, cute Curly! I never dated anyone until I was 21 and I can tell you it is worth waiting for only those who are very special!!!! Trust me and eat an apple.

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

I never joined Facebook because I thought my generation had missed the boat for it; it strikes me as a 'university' thing, and those days are long behind me. I don't want to sign up only to know about 8 people on there. Your post prompted me to discuss it with my nineteen-year-old officemate, and via her account I discovered a bunch of people I know are on it, so now I feel confused.

And no, let's not start using "Gay". It's to much of a hark back to those schooldays you describe.

 
At 3:21 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Mona - Cute ain't the word for it. I've been called Dr.Cox (Scrubs), Badly Drawn Boy, someones Dad and 'that guy that looks the same when you turn him upside down'.

Annie - It's less hectic than myspace, but equally as confusing. We'll get the hang of it I'm sure!

Afe - Agree.

Awesome Astrid - I'm not sure I want love to come my way, we'll see huh? I had that apple, it was great thanks!!

Huw - I didn't even know that it existed until recently. There are people on it that aren't on myspace and vice-vera - If only they'd all get in one place.

I use 'Gay' a lot to mean 'rubbish'. It's Shaun of the Dead's fault.

 
At 11:18 am, Blogger christianoshi thought it was best to say...

When I joined Facebook I was shocked to find many friends I had not been able to persuade to join MySpace. I couldn't help wonder if this had anything to do with them all being public school-educated.

It would seem we have posted very similar posts regarding Valentine's. But I think mine's more gay!

 
At 12:17 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Oshi - Being single IS great but yes, you win on the Gay-ness. I'm warming to facebook.... I'm not sure why?

 
At 5:19 pm, Blogger Will thought it was best to say...

Re 'gay': no. Here's why.

 
At 5:20 pm, Blogger Will thought it was best to say...

PS Sorry about sternness in above comment. I'm about to join Facebook too. Add me!

 
At 9:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

re gay = crap. for what it's worth i'm gay and i don't think it's acceptable.

especially for a 25 yr old guy who's never had a girlfriend. joking ;-)

 
At 10:27 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Will - Moyles is awful and I can't encourage anything that he says or does. Facebook, you're already a friend!

Anon - Glad to see you chip in! Don't worry, I got the joke - and there's not much I could do if I hadn't anyway..!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home