Thursday, January 11, 2007

Roadside Retribution

It had been raining heavily only moments before; I noticed the brief respite and quickly bolted out of the house to get into the town centre before the deluge started again. On my way I had managed to get stuck behind a lovely teenage couple who were having a full-blown argument as they walked along the street. Eff this, eff that… you effing whore” etc. poured out in a constant stream from both parties – it wasn’t the most pleasant thing to listen to. They were walking about the same speed as I was and as a result I was unable to overtake.

By the time we had reached the pedestrian crossing on a large road, another couple had caught up with us and in similar fashion, attempted to overtake, but couldn’t. We were prevented from crossing the road as the lights were turning green and the cars were about to move. The obscenities continued, “You effing did”, “I effing never!”, while the three of us waited impatiently. I caught the eye of the girl standing next to me, she rolled her eyes and shook her head, she was just as irritated as I was – I chuckled.

The cars had just started moving, I noticed a large pot-hole in the road which was full of water and immediately shifted a couple of metres backwards. I attracted the attention of the girl again, her boyfriend also noticed me - I pointed to the pot-hole and indicated that they should move. They both jumped backwards too, wry smiles creeping across their faces.

All of the cars somehow managed to avoid the hole and the lights were about to change back to red, my disappointment was clearly visible. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, the no.27 Bus to Thornhill came roaring along – he was obviously running late and didn’t have time to be stopped by insignificant things such as traffic lights. I stepped back another couple of metres, I knew this was going to be a big one…

The lights changed red just as the no.27 raced over the pot-hole… SPLOOSH! One of my favourite noises in the world was accompanied by silence as the arguing couple were splashed with a surprisingly large volume of muddy water. I burst out laughing and the couple standing next to me joined in, we crossed the road and went our separate ways, sniggering as we went.

It’s the little things that make my day.

13 Comments:

At 6:42 pm, Blogger Cleavers thought it was best to say...

Tee Hee

You are so going to hell :-)

 
At 6:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

Ha.

Every time I see people getting splashed I bizarrely think of how Sally Webster off Corrie met Kevin all those years ago, when he splashed her with his car. This is just stuck in my head, and each time I remember it I think "I wish I could forget that" and try to put it out of my head, but it never works.

It's really difficult to forget something on purpose.

 
At 8:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

Because I once had a boyfriend who subscribed to Trax and was full of useless Trivia, I can tell you that it is actually against the law to splash a pedestrian...

But then again, it seemed to cool off the effing effers after all, kharma?!

(And yes, M was right, I have a weakness for organic vodka. Or vodka of any description... what a small world! )

 
At 8:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

I'm guessing, though, that the couple didn't stay quiet for very long...

 
At 11:34 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Cleavers - Probably, but I did save two other souls...!

Annie - I think I missed that episode... forgetting something on purpose is a task easily performed, just forget everything. Who are you anyway?

LMM - That's a very interesting piece of trivia, I'll be telling everyone tonight I'm sure of it. When they question me on it, I'll just say "Someone on the interweb told me so.."

Small world indeed - pleasure to meet you!

Cope - Probably not, they were wearing some pretty white tracksuits too. I was off before they started up again..!

 
At 11:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

Potholes! Classic Wales.

 
At 4:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

you need to dedicate a song to that bus..
:)
I'll help you with the words

 
At 6:07 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Will - completely, we sell them to other countries, it's a major industry now. The Kazakhs love it, luckily they think that Britains industrial revolution was founded on "Welsh Hole", it's a great money spinner.

Mona - Depeche Mode, Enjoy the Silence.

 
At 4:44 am, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

That was absolutely poetic in its justice!

 
At 5:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

I'm sure the couple blamed the effing pothole on one another as well.

 
At 6:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

I loved this post! Funny, funny story. Bummer for them.

 
At 7:28 pm, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

Life can be so beautiful sometimes.

Also... I'm in Cardiff this weekend. Hurray! I shall watch out for potholes, and maybe we could have a beer?

 
At 12:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

The funniest thing I've read all day :-) I would have done the exact same thing in your situation though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home