Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Big Trouble in Little Wales

With another Christmas and New Year dealt with, we can finally crack on with things being normal again. Normal, as in pretty much all over the place - I've done almost nothing but sleep since December 23rd.

It wasn't particularly miserable, but it hasn't been the most exciting time of year either. The only notable activity of recent days* was quite possibly the most unfortunate New Years I've ever had. Unfortunately (see what I mean?) details will have to be left out, which hurts me as much as it hurts you (because it's actually a pretty funny story) but it's to avoid hurting anyone else - got it? Good. The last few New Years' have been spent in Pembrokeshire so I thought I'd try something different, a house party in London seemed like a good choice. I had managed to grab a lift down there with an old mate who's currently romancing a Welsh girl. Things were great, we had a fun trip down and then had a great time in the pub catching up, drinking and then talking shit. Things started going wrong on New Years Eve...

  • We booked a taxi home for 2am - I was disgusted to hear that it would cost us £50 for the pleasure. I'm not a fan of taxi's at the best of times, so this was extremely bad news.
  • A whole load of us went to a PUB at 22:30, which was I thought was the wrong kind of thing to be doing at a HOUSE party.
  • At 11pm, I ran out to meet pals Sud and Shona from the train station - the club refused to let us back in (something to do with licencing and a weasely pub manager intent on being a jobsworth). By the time the Chimes rolled around, the three of us were on our own in a Whetherspoons, downing shots to get as drunk as possible.

Almost straight after getting back to the house...

*Censored stuff*

... and Sud had to make the trek back through central London with no shoes.

All that over and done with, I had a great time waiting for trains back home in the morning. The sunshine was brilliant in Guildford, it was so warm just sitting (sleeping, dribbling) for half an hour while I waited for a train to come along. At Reading, I waited for another half hour but had a great chat with a girl that had seen me pass out on a bench in Guildford. I have a great skill for making random train friends (RTF's).

Hanging around old mates has brought out my sarcastic sense of humour again, I've missed it deeply. It'll probably fade away again sometime soon.

So, 2007 is going great (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious now).

I have a hankering to move to Sweden though, it's a pretty strong hankering and it's preventing me from thnking straight.

Last year I did a little best of 2005 thing, here's 2006 for ya:-

Highlight of 2006 :- I really don't think there has been a particular highlight, perhaps just meeting a whole load of new people.
Greatest personal achievement :- Erm, probably visiting another country - Latvia this time. Great place.
Biggest Regret :- Not saving any money.
Favourite band :- As with last year, it's a toss-up. Giant Drag have been amazing. There's also an honourable mention for Neko Case, beautiful stuff. But the Howling Bells edged it by playing live in front of me and sounding amazing.
Best night out :- Canada Day, by far. An immense day out, so many drunk people and not one bit of aggro!
Favourite Read :- I haven't read a single book, and have rarely touched a newspaper. what an internet snob I've become. I did quite like reading out the ingredients of a cigarette packet to one of my smoking friends recently, try it - it's fun.



*Apart from a night with my Brother, a lad named Donkey, his girlfriend and two (hot) lesbians playing Bullseye. This is Bullseye you dirty feckers.

5 Comments:

At 1:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

NYE - always more trouble than it's worth. I think I got it right for once though.

Nice story. Shame you couldn't be more revealing.

 
At 1:19 pm, Anonymous Will thought it was best to say...

Instead of the £50 taxi, you could've taken advantage of London's fantastic New Year all-night free tube system. Oh, except that the bit I wanted to use got FUCKING SUSPENDED.

Bastards.

 
At 3:04 am, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

I've said it before, but I must say it again. You are a tease:

"Almost straight after getting back to the house...

*Censored stuff*

... and Sud had to make the trek back through central London with no shoes."


HURRMPH!!! Aaaaaarrrgggh! The missing bits are killing me.

 
At 1:11 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Oshi - Yeah, it's always trouble but we still fall for the 'It's going to be great this year' trick, at least I do.

Will - That is a great idea on London Underground's part. But suspending things isn't such a great plan, that pretty much sucks ass.

Teri - Ha! I've done that a couple of times recently, haven't I? I should either just reveal stuff or not mention anything whatsoever. The bl*g has become an episode of lost.

 
At 11:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

You've got me beat in terms of interesting New Year's experiences. £50?! Really?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home