Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Illinois

Thanks to the evil forces of Last.Fm and Afe teaming up, I’ve been listening to a lot of Sufjan Stevens recently. I didn’t have a clue who this Sufjan chap was, but noticed that Afe had been listening to him rather a lot. I acquired a few albums, started listening to them at home and as a result I’ve been amazingly relaxed for the last week or so.

I first noticed how relaxed I was after I’d stood on a squirty stone* during a heavy downpour, I just laughed at it before strutting off along the street again. Usually a squirty stone would be subject to a little bit of verbal abuse before I leave it to lie in wait for another victim.

Christmas shoppers usually wind me up no-end, but I’ve been walking at the same (slow) pace as them and they don’t seem to bother me. I’m not rushed, not concerned about what the weather is doing and not concerned with people that usually get to me (I even took part in some market research on the street the other day, about mobile phones – I know nothing of mobiles and I don’t watch tv or listen to commercial radio, I was the worst person to interview but I enjoyed pissing the guy off).

My mood is greatly affected by the music I’m listening to, but my stereo at home is now broken so I’m stuck with the radio back there. As I can now only listen to my own tunes at work, my work-mood is affected most of all. Sufjan Stevens will not help you with productivity, I've found.



* Pavement slab prevalent in Cardiff. They only appear after it’s been raining, they are un-even slabs which collect water underneath them until stepped on, when they release a jet of water and mud all over your shoe/jeans. Given the right amount of pressure, the mud-jet can reach about 3ft into the air.

4 Comments:

At 10:26 pm, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

Sufjan rocks der haus!

 
At 1:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

The part about pavement slabs is true, in the ghost town of Cardiff, Illinois, USA. There is a book about Cardiff, Illinois, on ebay. It was a big coal mining town in America 100 years ago but now has vanished.

 
At 2:32 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

I love me some Sufjan!

 
At 3:23 pm, Blogger Will thought it was best to say...

I found myself feeling a similiar level of chill because of Matisyahu (that Hasidic Jewish dub guy). Even weirder, as I hate reggae.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home