Thursday, November 02, 2006

Into November

Things have settled down a bit here, finally. I say settled down, but it's more of a brief respite.

On Sunday I moved into my new place, I'm sharing a house with three people that I didn't know until I actually shifted all my stuff into the house. I'd met one about two weeks ago and the other two were introduced to me on the day I moved in. I'm extremely chuffed with my new housemates, my new job and my new room (from which I can just about see the Millennium Stadium).

My life has been jam-packed solid with social events again. I'm getting fatter and my wallet is getting thinner - always a good sign! The last two Monday nights have seen cheap vodka & Red Bulls consumed in Cardiffs' Tiger Tiger club, followed by an incredibly restless sleep as the Taurine forces my eyes open wide and my legs to buzz with energy despite me no longer being on the dancefloor. Tuesday is cheap night in the local, enough said. Wednesdays have been chilled out affairs and the weekend of course starts on Thursdays.

The rugby season is in full swing again, the Scarlets have been doing extremely well. We've only lost two out of a total of nine games, which puts us second in the Celtic league and top of our pool in the European Cup. Last night, the Ospreys made history by being the first Welsh region to beat Australia. This Saturday, the Autumn Internationals kick off - Wales play Australia here in Cardiff. The match will be the focal point of this weekend and I for one cannot wait! I've managed to get tickets for all of the games - My Cardiff lifestyle won't have kicked off in earnest until I'm in one of the pubs next to the stadium at 11am on Saturday, ticket in one hand and a beer in the other.

Living in Cardiff has also brought about the opportunity to achieve my literally several-month-long ambition of meeting Minnesotan/Texan and Welsh media darling, Chris Cope. I'm looking forward to a beer with him.

One massive downside to Cardiff though is the sheer number of people on the street selling the Big Issue, giving you Metros, Saving the children, saving the whales, saving the world or just interviewing you for your views on the latest big political move that everyone will forget about in two months time. They've got the majority of walking routes into the city centre marked, they all wear bright-coloured bibs, but still have the ability to blend into the background until you're about four feet away and by then, it's too late - they've made eye contact with you. The worst by FAR are the Save the Environment people, they do actually jump out at you armed with an umbrella in one hand, a clipboard in the other and a big, stupid grin on their faces. They're best dismissed with a short, sharp "Sorry mate" and then a slight head-turn in the opposite direction as you walk past. They usually say something as you walk off, something along the lines of "Well DON'T talk to me then", "You didn't know what I was going to ask you..." or my personal favourite - the girls' shameless attempt to flirt with you to reel you in, "Nice bum!" one yelled - I'll react differently depending on my mood:-

Good Mood - The silent treatment.

Average mood - The finger, but without turning my head to see if they acknowledge it.

Bad mood - A glare and a shake of the head. Followed by the finger.

Really bad mood - "Are you aware how fucking annoying you are? Piss the fuck off"

I never stop to chat though, I'll probably grow to like them and end up signing away my money to ensure I don't make them feel bad. I'm sure they're collecting for a good cause but I'll donate money to charity in my own time, I don't want to be hassled on the street. Other cities have these people on their streets but it just seems to be magnified in Cardiff - I haven't figured out the reason yet.

8 Comments:

At 4:27 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

Glad to see that you are settling in and very busy. I hope you like your new roommates.

 
At 10:05 pm, Blogger christianoshi thought it was best to say...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:31 am, Blogger Always on the Move thought it was best to say...

Hey there...My dad is from England and I still have relatives that live there and I SOOOOO wanna move there, or go visit some day. My relatives kept saying "come on over, and we'll pay for everything"...so why haven't I gone yet???
I can't believe that you have people on the streets "jumping" out at you as you walk past. We don't have a lot of that, and if we do, they just stand on the corner and say "Excuse me, can I talk to you?" I have learned to just look the other way and walk right on past them...it works most of the time. We usually only have them in the bigger cities, not where I live. Wanna switch Countries? You can move here to Canada and I'll move to England? How does that sound?
Take Care,
Kim

 
At 11:01 am, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

I used to have to walk a 100m gauntlet to University through such people (literally one every 10 feet), and I used to pretend I was talking on my mobile. It worked, but I eventually found it was too much effort, so I switched to ignoration.

 
At 7:20 pm, Blogger Ev thought it was best to say...

i used to be one of those save the environment people. if my 19 year old self accosted my 27 year old self to discuss smoke stack scrubbers, my 27 year old self would have attacked my 19 year old self with a meat cleaver.

funny what happens when you grow up. you get less tolerant and more violent. i can't wait until i am 80.

 
At 8:40 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

There is an intersection I have to stop at to and from work at least twice a day where the light takes FOREVER to change green. This is prime "stalking" territory for those men who want me to give to some church or help at-risk teens (they know I can't escape quickly). I usually DO end up forking over a dollar or two (which, trust me, I really do desperately need), but seeing as how I'm at that light at least 4 times in a day, for 5 days a week, that's about 20 times of being hounded! I take the stance of "I already gave, you greedy bastard", but then feel horrible because, you know, they're needy, at-risk kids. And they I get over that feeling quickly and go back to resentment. Vicious cycle.

 
At 1:12 pm, Blogger Will thought it was best to say...

If they hassle you, just run up to them and give them a massive hug. And while you're doing it, whisper 'I love you' in their ear. They will never bother you again, and may quit their street-bothering work, or go into therapy.

 
At 8:23 am, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

ha!
I laughed at Will's idea :)
I'm envious of you now...My ears are full of how wonderful Cardiff is- I've been told there are castles there that put any Frankenstein movie to shame... Of course these are ideal while attending a halloween party..and there are bars every two steps, full of young people- Brittany is known to harbour the majority of french drunken youth, but I hear Cardiff makes the French pre-alcooholics blush.
anyway despite the people jumping out, I still have Cardiff dreaming ...
enjoy :) as I'm sure you will ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home