Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Riga-rous.

Thursday evening is bringing with it the beginning of a little trip to Eastern Europe, Latvia to be precise. It'll be the shortest holiday I've been on, in its entirety it'll be just shy of three days. It'll also be the holiday I've prepared least for. My side-kick, Sud, and I booked the flights a couple of months ago and then promptly forgot about the whole thing. I saw Sud on the weekend and he asked the question, "What are we actually going to do when we get there?" I was unable answer, my knowledge of Latvia only extends to knowing where it is on a map and knowing that the capital city is named Riga.

As you may have guessed, my Latvian conversational skills are non-existent. The only real conversation I've had with a Latvian before was with a girl named Evita Peron, we talked, joked, danced and had a burger eating competition - this brought with it something that highly amused me, the way that Latvians pronounce "Burgers". The poor girl must have repeated that word tens of times at my request. Today, I've been trawling through Latvian phrases on the internet and listening to Latvian radio to at least get a feel for the language. The station 'Latvijas Radio 1' reminds me of some of the stations I'd enjoy finding on my Long Wave radio as a kid, it's actually a very soothing language to listen to!

Another wonderful thing about the interweb is the ability to actually see what's going on in Riga via the webcams. For a couple of hours research, I've actually got a pretty good idea of how the city looks and what there is to see when we get there. Whether I'll be able to apply any of this new knowledge, I don't know.

Any tips are very welcome, if you've been before or even if you just know someone that has!

Failing a structured trip, we'll fall back on our always-successful back up plan...

Second bar on the right and straight on 'til morning.

11 Comments:

At 1:43 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

At the around 350m (1200 foot) (ish) tall, the Riga TV Tower puts my beloved BT Tower to shame. There's a public observation platform about a third of the way up.

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger Cleavers thought it was best to say...

Riga is fun and the Latvians are a really nice bunch of people. The downtown core is really pretty. I can't remember any of the places I went to as I used to go on business trips and we were wined and dined, but I think there was a nice place with a bridge over a pond with some koi carp once. That was nice.

Really useful, me. Have fun!

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

Don't step out in front of any traffic while you're there. You might end up with Riga-mortis.

*leaves quietly*

 
At 5:06 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

have so much fun. Sometimes I think that the best trips are the ones that are unplanned. Just wander around eat lots of food and enjoy the bars.

 
At 2:44 am, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

Sveiks!

I think it means "hi," but I'm not entirely sure.

 
At 11:28 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Huw - It's a pretty cool tower isn't it? Like something straight out of a Star Wars movie.

Cleavers - Koi Carp, I'll keep an eye out for them! Should I check the tourist info. office first? Cheers!

Léonie - Close the door on your way out.

Kels - You're right. The best trips are always unplanned! Don't worry, the bars will certainly be enjoyed - I'll stay away from the 'lots of food' part if you don't mind?

Teri - Apparently it does, thanks! But it's spelt Sveiki. Man, this is going to be fun!

 
At 9:25 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

How about putting yourself on a mission to make people queue at the bus-stops? And well, have a ball, and don't forget to say "Hi Stir-Fry" to Sud from me!

 
At 1:19 am, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

For a second, I thought you were going to the home of Dr. Doom.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latveria

 
At 2:30 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Astrid - I'll certainly say "Hello Jello" to the man for you. Making people wait at bus stops? I think I'll be saying "Atvainojiet" a lot if that happens.

Neal - Someone else brought that up a couple of days ago, I obviously missed out on my Marvel comics...!

 
At 9:43 pm, Blogger Crystal thought it was best to say...

have fun! take pictures! try not to offend anyone because i hear they are pretty ruthless. you may not think you need your fingernails now, but when you don't have them, you realize exactly how useful they are.

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

so??!!!
how was it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home