Friday, September 01, 2006

Kick off 7:10pm

This won't appeal to many of you, but it does to me.

The rugby season kicks off in earnest this evening. It's been hard living without my Friday and Saturday fixes for the summer. Infact it's probably the only thing I don't like about the summer (apart from old men in speedos), the lack of rugby. If I could afford Sky then I could watch the Southern Hemisphere teams battle it out in the Super 14 or the Tri Nations, but I can't so those games are limited to occasional early mornings in the pub - which are expensive things.

The Blues take on the European champs Munster tonight, it should be a cracking game. Tomorrow, my beloved Scarlets battle with Ulster in Northern Ireland. They've played three friendlies so far but I'm still slightly nervous.

The start of the rugby season also signals the start of the count down to the Autumn Internationals. Wales take on Australia, Canada, the Pacific Islands and New Zealand over four weekends this November - these are usually amongst the biggest events on my calendar. Bigger than Christmas, oh yes. Every year I manage to blag myself some tickets to see New Zealand play Wales, it's by far my favourite fixture as I have a bit of a soft spot for the Kiwis. I've been to the last four or five fixtures between the two rugby-mad nations in Cardiff, it's just an amazing feeling - despite us getting thrashed most of the time!

Also, I had my first McDonalds today since last December - I feel slightly sick.

6 Comments:

At 7:27 pm, Blogger NiolK thought it was best to say...

Watching rugby and eating McD's eh? Fat bastard.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

Watching Rugby makes me nervous, but I did watch my cousins play when I was visiting them. They survived, so it cannot be that bad.

 
At 10:35 pm, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

I'm hoping to see my first real live rugby game in NZ when I leave the ice. I saw kiwis beating each other up this summer, I think that was what they called rugby...

 
At 4:24 am, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

There's a rugby league here - and you can identifiy its members by the bumper stickers on their cars.

"Give blood, play rugby."

McD's always makes me feel like crap, too. I don't eat there any more.

 
At 8:29 am, Blogger Captain Bee thought it was best to say...

I saw some Australian Rules hardcore shit a while back, that stuff is ridiculously good.

 
At 11:53 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Niolk - It turns out it wasn't such a nice experience. I just lay on my bed on the verge of puking for the entire game.

Kels - A friend of mines girlfriend used to stand on the touchline when he played rugby and would yell at the other team "Don't you even THINK about touching my boyfriend!"

Neal - NZ is probably the best place in the world to watch rugby (unlesss you're an Aussie). It's the closest sport there is to war and the maori love it.

Teri - Americans are slowly catching on to the idea actually, once they decide that it's a better sport than 'football', then they could be up with the best in the world.

Bee - Aussie Rules & Gaelic Football players have my utmost respect for playing that game. It's cracking to watch, unfortunately the majority of players are Ausholes and they love themselves a bit too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home