Friday, August 04, 2006

A little concerned

I've just done something I didn't think I was capable of doing.

Something which I've never done before in my life.

I have actually just turned down an opportunity to have fun - Four days in Newquay partying with a group of old University mates.

Newquay, for those who are not familiar with it, is the surfing capital of Britain. It's located in Cornwall, which is the little pointy bit of Britain in the South West. During the summer, the population swells from about 20'000 to somewhere in the region of 100'000, and a very large percentage of these summer visitors are people aged 18-30 who are there to surf or lie on the beach during the daytime and then party the night away. The town is extremely lively at night due to the huge amounts of bars and clubs located in the centre.

I spent a summer working in Newquay back in 2002, I was twenty and in my element down there. It was just three months of sheer enjoyment, we surfed, we drank, we had barbeques every day and slept in tents at night. I was working in a bar down there, even that was fun - the constant throb of people enjoying themselves was a real boost and it didn't feel like I was working at all.

It's always good fun whenever I go down there still. I've always been one for just waking up on a random morning, picking up my tent and driving somewhere else to pitch it. This weekend was going to be along the lines of that, but things just piled up this time. There were so many reasons to stop me going, reasons which previously I would've just blatantly ignored and carried on regardless.

Instead of catching the last day of the Ripcurl Boardmasters and tearing up the town, I'm house-sitting for my parents as they go away for three weeks. I have to water the plants, feed the dog and be nice to the neighbours....



Strange things are definitely afoot, ever since a Captain Bee "I invented the internet" style rant about two weeks ago.
  • This has been going into overdrive
  • My diet has improved
  • I'm becoming increasingly tired. Three nights this week I've got home from work at 6pm, collapsed on my bed and slept until the morning
  • I talk less
  • I have calmed down
  • I am on fire
  • ABBA?!!!!!
Cope mentioned a while back that my bl*g had become some sort of coming of age drama, and he hoped that I'd end up shagging Reese Witherspoon at the end. Although growing up is quite a way off yet, I am having a lot of revelations recently - I just haven't shagged Reese Witherspoon yet.

6 Comments:

At 8:15 pm, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

but do you want to shag Reese Witherspoon? That;s really the question.

I'm afraid you're getting old. Terible, isn't it?

I was still hoping from crop circles or something. ;)

 
At 10:14 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

Whoa, was I on crack? I don't hope you end up shagging Reese Witherspoon -- that's my job.

 
At 11:30 pm, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

I think the real question here is: would you prefer to shag Reese as June Carter or Elle Woods?

 
At 9:11 pm, Blogger Clearlykels thought it was best to say...

Ugh! The responsibility thing is killing me too. I actually prefer getting a good night sleep in my own bed to going out and painting the town red. Here's to the hope of your shagging Reese!

 
At 10:19 am, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

Listen, boys, less arguing please. We can ALL shag Reese Witherspoon. I'm sure she won't mind if we ask her nicely.

(As June Carter, please)

I will also take Ryan Phillipe.

Don't grow up, Curly. I hear it's overrated.

 
At 12:24 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Teri - I would LOVE to shag Reese Witherspoon,

a) she's female
b) she's famous
c) she's rich

How can ANYONE resist that? But whether I'd WANT to, that's a different matter. There'd be all the media attention, paparazzi, Phllipe fans sending death threats - it's just not worth the hassle.

Cope - That's your JOB? Oh, to be an ex-journalist learning a funny foreign language... *sigh*

Afe - Can I have Annette Hargrove?

Clearlykels - Thanks for hoping for me. Come on, you KNOW how much fun it is going out on the town... !

Léonie - Can we lose Phillipe? I can't be called Curly and have a haircut of his standard in the same bed. Don't worry, I'm not going to grow up just yet. This is just a temporary blip.



Ooh, I've just discovered that one of Witherspoons ancenstors signed the declaration of independance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home