Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Oh my God.

I noticed that the amazon.com packaging protruding from underneath some German WWII helmets (lying around as they do) and decided to have a peek at what my housemates were ordering, upon closer inspection - I noticed that it was addressed to me! It'd been there for five days and no-one had told me about it.

I ran upstairs, a little bit miffed initially but overwhelmed with excitement, ripped open the packaging and waited for an age for the drawer on my CD player to open...

'Turning On' .... good good.
'Welcome' .... yeah, I know, HURRY UP
'Loading' ... WTF?
'Opening' ... YESSS, that's the one!

The CD was rammed into the machine and the process started again...

'Closing' ... AAAGH.
'Reading' ...GREAT
'Loading' ...Again?
'Sleeping' ... (not really, but it might as well have been)
'Playing' ... at last!

And then it started...

There's a guitar strummed softly for a few seconds before Juanita Stein's soft, seductive voice came in, the Aussie twang a clear and very welcoming change to some of the music I've listened to recently. By the time the second track, Velvet Girl, had finished, I was lying motionless on the floor unable to decide which emotion I should be displaying. I lay there listening to the rest of the album, completely forgetting what it was I was supposed to be doing instead.

Then it happened...

Setting Sun - As I was lying there, listening intently, a giant wave of emotion washed over me - I was euphoric, miserable, confused and enlightened all at once, I was completely breathless, I hadn't noticed but I'd seemingly forgotten to take a single breath for the previous four minutes... David Blaine would be proud. I was transported to a completely different world, an alien world, a fantasy world, a good world, the world of the Howling Bells.

5 Comments:

At 12:18 am, Blogger Afe thought it was best to say...

It's great when music can blow your mind like that. (Plus she shares my last name, so it must be good).

 
At 2:59 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

I expect you're related somehow, you should give her a ring (her brother is in the band too), they might be able to sort you out with some contacts!!

And it IS great when music can do that... there aren't many songs that can though!

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

Wow.
Music, when it's good, has incredible power.

 
At 10:27 pm, Anonymous chesswithdeath thought it was best to say...

Oh man, I had tickets to see them on Sunday in Cardiff, but got drunk in the afternoon and failed miserably. They rock!

 
At 1:02 pm, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

Music that doesn't have that effect isn't worth listening to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home