Monday, May 22, 2006

A hungover poem

Said the boss to Curly as we sat in the pub,
"Of course you can leave early", so I bought him some grub,
I hopped on a train and drifted to sleep
My brain switched off after counting some sheep.

The train was delayed but it didn't matter a jot
I'd passed the time with a girl who was hot
We finally arrived in the big bad city
London was lively but the weather was shitty

After getting lost and getting covered in mud,
I found the bar with my pals Helen and Sud,
It was getting pretty late and I was feeling dead,
So I ordered a pint and had it on the head

The evening was fun, we all had a laugh
although I was pretty smelly and needed a bath
We went back to the flat, not too late
and ordered a curry which we only half ate.

Saturday was great, Sud fancied a lark
So off we headed to Tufnell Park
We checked out the area then met up with Huw
We cheered on Munster and ordered more brew

After a few more beers we searched for the underground
We were a little hammered and one couldn't be found
We walked to Camden, both pretty wonky
Eventually though, we hooked up with Donkey.

The tube home was closed, which set off alarms
But we quickly forgot in the Northumberland Arms
We watched Eurovision, which we thought was grand
Wogan was funny, the winners were Fin-land (oohh running out of rhymes here)

We got back to the flat at eleven, very late
Helen was angry, we were due in at eight.
We were going to Infernos, a little bit risky
So we psyched ourselves up with a bottle of whiskey.

The night afer that was a bit of a blur,
No doubt my dancing was suspect and I was beginning to slur
Good news though, I picked up a chick
It was my "posing dance"(tm) which did the trick

Breakfast on Sunday to laugh about the night,
We all giggled until our stomachs were tight
After more beer and some coke with an ice cube
Sud and I went on a crawl along the tube

We managed six stops before we ran out of cash
Luckily enough we bumped into my old friend Tash.
More beers and a laugh again
Before we finally died at half ten.

So here I am, sitting back in Wales
Feeling knackered but smiling, with plenty more tales.


(Inspired by and dedicated to:

The great City of London, The London Underground, The Fine Line, The Quays, The Northumberland Arms, The Golden Lion, SW4, Infernos, The Peoples Republic, Hung Drawn & Quartered, The Tankard, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Clapham North, The Alexandra, Sud Shady, Helen, Sarah, Lisa, Kris, Hot random train girl, Huw, Donkey, Tash, random Eastern European girl that gave us directions, random Aussie girl, Terry Wogan, random 3 black gangsters that laughed at my dancing and last, but not least, the two random Germans that knew where the nearest pub to Stockwell tube was)

8 Comments:

At 12:15 am, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

I knew I should have drawn you a map, but I was distracted by Doctor Who.

 
At 5:59 am, Blogger Cleavers thought it was best to say...

Awesome.

Absolutely awesome.

Herewith find my official invitation to join in my birthday celebrations in North Wales at the end of August. You'd be a welcome addition. Plus, you can be the translator :-)

And just one last thing.

Infernos. It does something to a body. The only place where I've pulled and then been walked home. literally. without need of a night bus or cab.

Damn, I don't miss that place.

 
At 11:42 am, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

Sounds like an amazing weekend, kudos on the poetry.

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Léonie thought it was best to say...

Brilliant poem. However I cannot believe you went to Inferno's. It is like a more expensive version of hell.

Also I live about twenty seconds from the Clapham North. Spooky.

 
At 10:05 pm, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

That's one outstanding poem! No, it's rather more like epic verse - but all in all, quite good!

 
At 9:26 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Huw - The second we left the door we knew full well that we were going to get lost. What we found particularly amusing was when asking we the nearest tube stop was, people always said "Oh, there's none around here, you're a LONG way away" It was a 15min walk...

Cleavers - Thanks, a birthday party huh? That will be amazing, keep me updated! And yeah, Infernos is wrong.

Neal - Cheers sunshine, I needed the kudos today!

Léonie - I'm going to use that description of Infernos from now on if you don't mind? Spot on! We decided that Clapham North tube was our favourite stop on our little tour! The Clapham North bar was pretty nice, but a little pricy...!

Teri - Epic verse! ha! I'm glad you like the poem anyway, I usually write them to amuse myself. They rhymes are so bad it makes me chuckle.

 
At 9:37 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

ahhhhhh he's a poet huh!
fun fun fun
I like moving around to a million different places :)

 
At 10:00 am, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

Curly, you are f*cking brilliant!!! How much your words just always know to amuse me! You seem to be in London quite often these days. It is a fun city, huh? What do you reckon is the best thing out there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home