Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Just can't think of a title. Any ideas?

After clicking 'next bl*g' far too many times this afternoon, I noticed that a large percentage of the sites I came across were started only today. This got me wondering why the hell I actually started writing this stuff. Unable to locate a satisfactory answer anywhere in my head, I decided to go back to my very first post. Nope, nothing there but it was rather interesting to see how my writing style had changed (the spelling was worse and there was more swearing) over the last twenty months.

I then noticed something rather interesting, my posts had been adapted to whoever was leaving comments at the time. Like most people, I only really had one person (who was already a good mate) reading at the very beginning and so the posts were written using language that I would use when conversing with him normally. As more readers came and went, my language and post content changed frequently. I asked myself the question (out loud, which my boss didn't appreciate - I should have been working)...

Am I trying to please my readers or is this just my style constantly evolving?

It's a tough one. I'm aware that I adapt to people usually when I speak to them, this causes a frequent change in accent/use of language/tone. One thing I know for sure is that I'm not a good story-teller when in a social situation, I usually make a total mess of the point or I just get completely side-tracked. Also I don't usually have that much to say (unless there's alcohol involved, when I will talk to anyone about anything). And I definately don't talk about myself as much as I do on here. Bledd pointed some of this out recently:-

"I love it when you and Eirian come out, neither of you do anything. You're just...there, it's hilarious"

I like being 'Just...There'.

I digress, I decided to wander around everyone elses bl*gs and looked at their very first posts. I discovered the same change in style in many cases, others wrote in the same way as they do now (which is not necessarily a bad thing at all). Many first posts also gave reasons for starting bl*gs, which I found to be great fun reading.

This is all a bit wishy-washy. But that's how I feel at the moment. I can't put it much better than Deeanne has.

6 Comments:

At 6:35 pm, Blogger Laura thought it was best to say...

Oh god. I hope you didn't read my first post. I can't bring myself to delete it but its so embarassing.

 
At 8:41 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

I think the official term is "finding your voice." Every writer, regardless of quality, undergoes change over time.

My first blog post simply linked to my columns, which I think have gotten better over the four years I've been writing them. But that's not really saying much. My blog, meanwhile, remains at the same level of suck.

 
At 9:41 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

I deleted most of my old posts a couple years ago...sometimes I wish I hadn't, but what can you do? I never ever used to have comments, I didn't know you could enable them..until a couple months ago! I sometimes write for people who will comment- I like to hear what people have to say (probably why I read blogs in the first place to go back to one of your older post's questions), but mostly I like to write whatever it is that is crossing my mind and sometimes I cringe when I know people will read it...but then I just ask myself if I'm trying to prove anything,and well who cares anyway? I like the idea of just being there, life is beautiful my friend :)

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

Has it been that long? I've changed my blog three times in just over 2 years and lost posts - and where has Owain, who got me onto it, disappeared eh eh?
My posts are surely the same, me babbling to myself over n over...

 
At 3:00 am, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

I write for the people who comment, sort of. I sometimes write about things that I might not otherwise because I think people might be interested in them. And sometimes I censure what I'm about to say.

I do the change in accent/use of language/tone when I'm talking to people too.

 
At 11:52 am, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

I cringe to think I might have been one of the people who's archives you dipped into. I found it very hard to write at the start when no-one was really reading. Knowing that at least someone was reading (which took about 4 months as I never really commented on other people's blogs) made it a hell of a lot easier. So yes, readers have most certainly altered my writing style, but if anything it's because they implicitly provide feedback on what went before

 

Post a Comment

<< Home