Friday, March 10, 2006

Where are YOU now?

In the last week I've received seven e-mail invitations to join the Where Are You Now? network, the subject of each was a rather annoying "Hi :)" . I'd ignored the first six but upon receiving the seventh, I decided to see what the fuss was about.

I clicked the link which took me to the sign up page and the first thing I noticed was a message from my friend, Kelly, saying

Kelly wrote: "Join me on WAYN so we can share our contact links and keep track of each others whereabouts."

For starters, I know exactly where Kelly lives and her general whereabouts - and she's got a fairly good idea where I am through Hairy Tales and the occasional e-mail (which reminds me, I haven't sent her one for a while). Kelly probably didn't write that anyway, that's not the kind of language she would use. The rest of the page is filled up with boxes where I can enter all my personal details and quotes from a couple of guys named Carl and Raul.

"Hey Folks, Just wanna say this site is amazing and I didn't know you could meet so many people from around the world without walking out the door! It's Great!"
Carl, USA

"It's a masterpiece, just makes the world spin!"
Raul, NZ

A little enthusiastic but, fair enough. Although I have to say that I didn't quite agree with Raul, I have different theories about how the world spins.

After clicking the 'Join' button several times (someone had already taken the username Curly... imposters) I was then taken through a number pages where I could invite everyone in my address book (I'm sure they'd love that), upload the best photo of me I could find and to enter all my previous locations (I don't know why).

I'm then taken to my very own homepage. It's completely overdone, there are a million too many buttons to press and the constant movement of the advertisements is making me feel sick. I try my best to navigate around, I manage to fill in my (very limited) profile but it takes me a further five minutes to find the links to my friends profiles. Eventually I find Kelly, she's my only friend. I'd thought about adding some more but I've already taken twenty minutes out of my work day to get absolutely nowhere. So I log out.

What was the point? We already have endless memberships to on-line sites as it is; Newspapers, e-mail, online banking, Bl*gger... the list goes on. Then you get bombarded with invitations from other people to become their friend on Friendster, WAYN, Myspace, Bebo, Hi5... Surely we just haven't got the time to keep up with all these people and to remember all these passwords? Have we?

I am sticking firmly to Bl*gger. It does the job - I can keep an online journal of my activities and thoughts which everyone can read at their discretion. You don't have to trawl through endless pages of crap just to read this site, it's set up in an east-to-view layout, I don't lose sleep over who is my 'Friend' or 'Buddy' and there are absolutely NO advertisements to distract you. I write what I want and display it how the hell I like, you either read it because you're interested or you click 'next bl*g' because you're not. Easy.

I'm not going to become the Jehovas Witness' of the Bl*gger world and force my friends to join up because I think it's great. I'll tell them my address so they can have a look and if they want to come back again or even set up their own then that's wonderful.

Well, this is my WAYN homepage. Hans has also had myspace, bebo, friendster and hi5 accounts but they're never there for long.

Apologies to Kelly, it's not your fault - It's just that the seventh invitation made me snap.

12 Comments:

At 5:32 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

I was cajoled into starting a Friendster one, and then it turned out to be MySpace which was The online popularity contest any self-respecting self-promoting person was on. Blast!

I tried to convince friends to sign up to friendster.
"Why?" they asked.
"Umm. So I don't look so lonely."

 
At 6:54 pm, Blogger Lucy thought it was best to say...

Yes, but that's the point. I have LOADS of friends now, all thanks to Bebo. Making the lonely, laptop-bound popular. That's all I'm saying.

 
At 4:58 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

I have a hi5 one, but i don't think i ever really use it unless someone is adding me as their "friend" occasionally I get the check out my webcam, meet me for sex type thing..but well..whats a girl to do?

 
At 5:30 pm, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

Im a HI5 addict but never send emails asking ppl to join up, i remember how that used to piss me off!

 
At 7:59 am, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

Haha .. I know the feeling! I am so glad my computer memorizes most of my passwords, but yeah, I rarely join clubs like that, unless of course I know you are a member too. I hate to be the-girl-who-is-not-part-of-the-coolest-club-on-earth.

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

In an attempt to get rid of a hi5 invitation I was sent, I accidentally sent the invitation to all the people on my Hotmail address list, which included one of my graduate school professors. He sent me back a rather embarrassing email which read to the likes of "thanks for the invite, but I get enough spam mail as it is!" I sent him an email back apologizing profusely and explaining the mistake, but it was too late...I think he thought I was stalking him. I'm on Facebook and Friendster, but my good ol' blogger page is my best (online) friend.

 
At 9:16 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

I totally agree -- there's too much. I have a Friendster account I haven't touched in years and it embarrasses me to have it. I 've got two blogs and I get sick of me. I can't imagine a need for me to actually be on Friensdeter, et al.

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

Yeah, so, anyway. Who wants to be one of my friendster friends?

 
At 9:22 am, Blogger Neal thought it was best to say...

Sadly, I gave into peer pressure and joined myspace. I realized I didn't have time to maintain two blogs. How am I supposed to have things to blog about if I'm always in front of the computer?

 
At 1:53 pm, Blogger Cleavers thought it was best to say...

I read an article recently as to how My Space is one of the number one ways that teenagers meet friends, and how 'lots' of people hand over their My Space details when they meet someone new as it's so 'common' in London.

Me, I only found out what My Space is when my 15 year old cousin sent me an email telling me I should join so we can chat and 'hang out'.

I'm way, way too old clearly as to me, hanging out involves people being in the same room - last I looked, she's 3,000 miles away.

 
At 7:48 am, Anonymous Pogula thought it was best to say...

I tried to stop the neverending emails of ONE, only ONE person trying to make me join her on WAYN, how can one person send you so many!! She must be desperate for friends! They should realise it makes you want to send them every little bit of junk email you have ever had, just to get back at them! In the end I joined (I was under intense pressure, in fear of receiving another 50 emails to join!), it just got too confusing in the end......I gave up.......but still get emails almost every day from WAYN!! anyway, I came to realise that this girl was really that much of a friend at all, and I never really liked her. I dont care Where the freakin hell you are now!! damn it!

 
At 11:16 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Pogula - I've just discovered that there's a 'send reminder' button on WAYN. There lies the culprit.

Don't give people the tools and they won't use them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home