Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Quick

I've been busy not doing anything recently, apart from the usual not-staying-still-for-two-seconds and talking a lot.

The Six Nations finished a couple of weeks back, Wales finished a dismal 5th (of six). A rather spectacular fall from grace seeing as we ended up on top of the pile last year. A brief glimmer of the dazzling style of play appeared in the final game against the French, but it wasn't enough and we finally went down 21-16.


Paddys day was a good'un this year. I had planned to avoid Cardiff for the final day of the Six Nations, three rugby matches in a row is not healthy viewing. The Rugby part of it is fine, but it's the drinking marathon that’s part and parcel of it that's the killer. I headed to the big C despite this on the Friday to check out a band my brother had ordered me to see, Adequate 7. A few too many silky smooth pints of Guinness, a dance and a sing-song in Dempseys prevented me from actually making the gig. I'd dragged a few mates out but no-one else was especially keen to see the band, bar Oz, who will watch anything as long as there's alcohol served somewhere. The trouble with having such a varied appetite for music is that not many people will have the same tastes, making it hard to find company to gigs. The night was awesome all the same, the highlight was the large French contingent (in town for the rugby) feeling a little left out with all the Irish-themed celebrations, started to sing La Marseillaise. Up for a laugh, the Irish and Welsh joined in as best they could (humming rather than singing) and before long - everyone in the bar was on their feet singing (or humming) their hearts out. It was a special moment!! The night was over after I decided that I had stepped on enough peoples toes whilst 'dancing'.

I took a trip to Bournemouth with me Mam. My Nan had been admitted to hospital for a bypass operation in her leg, not especially nice to go through at her age (around the 84 mark I think). We turned up at visiting hours and sat listening to her complain for the entire time, then went home again. I was initially worried for her but I was put at ease by the fact that she complained for so long, she was still very active and had all her wits about her!

The long drive back combined with a crap sleep on my Nans sofa (and a lack of alcohol) brought on some sort of nasty illness which pretty much disabled me for the best part of a week. This weekend was a welcome break, a time to chill out and recuperate - something I haven't done for a long time. We visited the Surfs Up exhibition in Swansea museum, trying to kick-start our appetite for surfing ready for the summer. Next up, a new board...

We headed back to the house and settled down in front of the TV for the Scarlets game, they'd called it off because the pitch had turned in to a pond. Bang went Saturday evening.


Sunday, back to the folks house in the hills for Mothers Day. The day was spent mainly sleeping. Exhausted.

Yesterday included a trip to the dentists, and it was an all together odd affair. I sat down in the chair and was greeted by the dentist, who two minutes earlier, had pulled up in his car, opened up the surgery and rushed inside...

Dentist: Hi, Open wide
Curly: Aaaaaa
Dentist: Okay, Left upper 1 through 7 (or general dentist speak)
Curly: ... (thinking about badgers, or something)
Dentist: Ah, there's nothing wrong with you - get out.
Curly: What? That's it?
Dentist: Yeah.
Curly: Oh, okay. Bye.

The whole check-up took under 20 seconds. He took the same amount of time with both of my sisters. We all walked out feeling a little bemused. It was great that there was nothing wrong at all but we felt as though he didn't really do a thorough job and he didn't inspire a great deal of trust in me. It brings into question whether we can really trust some healthcare professionals? Maybe he was fine, his approach was slightly different that I'm used to but it was refreshing to see all the same.

Oh yeah, while I'm here - Can you recommend a song/band for me to listen to? Anything will do, I'm feeling that I'm getting stagnant listening to the same CD's over and over again. It's a good time to expand my musical horizons I think.

15 Comments:

At 3:14 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

Hey Curly, that dentist-trip just doesn’t sound right. Are you sure the fellow was really a dentist and not some wolf who had eaten your dentist?

 
At 3:17 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

And I like Jason Mraz - Mr. A-Z., but that's just me (who got tickets to see him in London later this year!!!).

 
At 5:08 pm, Blogger ozstriker thought it was best to say...

FIRESIDE
-they're Swedish
-helped produce the Hives
-www.firesidemusic.com

TIGER LOU
-they're also Swedish
-www.tigerlou.com

FENIX TX
-pretty much a crazier version of any band on an "american pie" soundtrack
-www.fenix.com

PROBOT
-dave grohl's little side project
-www.southernlord.com/probot/

and i'm out for now!

 
At 5:20 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Cheers As, I've listened to a load of Jason Mraz tracks - quite fun! Good recommendation.

Oz - Will get onto it, as soon as I've discovered what's going on with that Radio 1 thing... I saw the word party? And I'm wondering why I like Swedish music so much at the moment?

 
At 5:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

heres a few to try:

- tribes of neurot
- Fantomas
- Winter
- Unearthly Trance
- Kharnate

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

The libertines, Kaiser Chiefs, Arcade Fire, Baby Shambles,Gorillaz, Sublime...
what happened to Kelly Clarkson!?
;)

As for your dentist...maye he had to pee?

 
At 11:05 pm, Blogger Teri thought it was best to say...

That trip to the dentist just sounds wrong. Wasn't he supposed to clean your teeth or something, not just look at them? Or is that just U.S. dentists?

 
At 11:20 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

Topher (let's see if it sticks), do you think it will be warm enough for a surf lesson in say, May/June?

Your dentist? Not a dentist. Definitely not.

I always get embarrassed when people ask for suggestions of movies, books, or music because I think my taste is entirely too "girly" for a guy. However, because you're such a close and personal friend, I will give you a few that I like.

Huw has turned me on to these artists/bands:

Delays
Rufus Wainwright
The Streets
Gorillaz
The Bees

I personally love (just a few...):

Jason Mraz
John Mayer
Natasha Bedingfield
Anna Nalick
Bell X1
Black Eyed Peas
Coldplay
Damien Rice
Death Cab for Cutie
Otis Redding
Frank Sinatra
Holly Brook
Imogen Heap
Keane
The Killers
Phoenix
Ray LaMontagne
Zero 7

 
At 5:32 am, Blogger Crystal thought it was best to say...

You should check out Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (sp?), Modest Mouse, or anything by Brak.

 
At 10:19 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Anon - Cheers for that, I'll get on to them...

Mona - Clarkson has been banished to the bottom of the pile! I've just buried her somehwere on my hard drive to avoid the temptation to play it! Arcade Fire are sweet, as are Sublime - gonna go listen now.

Teri - Apparently my teeth don't need cleaning?

L - I'm already familiar with Huws recommendations. The Bees song
"chicken Payback" is awesome!

I'm gonna go with the others that I've never heard of...
Phoenix
Ray LaMontagne
Anna Nalick
Bell X1
Death Cab for Cutie (Awesome name!)
Holly Brook

(Otis reading is a legend so I might listen to him some more too)

Crystal - Wow, that's a healthy taste in music you've got there. I LOVE Modest Mouse and CYHSY - Brak, never heard of them but I will certainly look out for!

This is great - I'm going to be kept SO busy with all this stuff! And I'm incredibly impressed that no-one has mentioned James Blunt!

Cheers muchly guys and gals!

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

My last dentist appointment was a similar in and out affair; serves me right for being late.

Just a single song recommendation from me:

Sugar Bum, by Ooberman.

 
At 1:33 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

Oh, and seeing as MoH mentioned them, the new Phoenix single is out soon and is rather good. I forget its name.

 
At 7:54 am, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

Gnarls Barklay - Crazy - excellent tune!

(How appropriate is the verification thing today, Noisz!!)

 
At 10:52 am, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

I should also add that the new Death Cab For A Cutie single, which once again I can't remember the name of, is worth a listen.

This is the last comment from me.

On this post I mean.

 
At 9:37 am, Anonymous online sports betting thought it was best to say...

The opening round of Six Nations fixtures certainly didn’t disappoint. We had a tense thriller (Ireland 16 – 11 Italy), a shocking upset (England 19 – 26 Wales) - which must have cost the bookies in Wales a few quid, seen as though the Welsh were massive underdogs and not to mention the Taffies like a bit of Rugby Betting UK. Then there were the brave Scots; who went down 27-6 to France. So many parts of Scotland’s game were working well and all three of the French tries came from schoolboy errors by the Scots... I hope their confidence is still in tact because they actually played really well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home