Thursday, February 16, 2006

Cor blimey guv'nor!

I don't get to go to London much. I've rarely been more than twice in a year and that's quite enough for this country boy. Deeanne and Huw had arranged for a few bloggers to hook up for a drink and once the open-invitation was posted on D's site, a plan started to form in my head... nothing devious, just a travel plan. I arrived in London without hurting any of the annoying children on the three hour train ride (Oh, how I hoped they'd get bored of a game which involved repeatedly throwing coins on the table). The Tube was the next adventure:- Tunnels deep underground full of seemingly miserable people (I can't quite put my finger on the the source of the misery, maybe people are tired, maybe they're angry that they live in London, maybe they've just been down there for days and can't find a way out). I take great joy from smiling at people on the tube, it freaks them out a little!

Anwyay, after a little wander around Soho and Chinatown I met up with Huw and as he's already mentioned, we went out for a couple of pints and a romantic meal together. Clumsy Huw almost spoilt the occasion by knocking the glasses off the table but avoided embarrassment when the waiter did it for him. Poor Huw did have to put up with my London/Swansea comparisons (It's like visiting a foreign country for me), but he did so remarkably well! When you read other peoples blogs, you create images of how people look and sound - it's rather enlightening when you meet them in the flesh "Ah! So that's what they look like"

We moved on to the meeting place where we joined other bloggers in the form of Deeanne, Monica and Matt. Deeanne also brought her mate along who gave me that "I'm sure I know her" feeling.. perhaps she's just a typical Kiwi girl? I don't know.

The night was tremendously fun. Everybody was ultra-nice (even Monica, I had heard some nasty rumours...) and I really enjoyed yakking away to everyone, finding out what they did, where they came from etc. So Thanks very much for that you lot, well worth the £33 train fare and the over-priced pints...

The next day Huw and myself had a great breakfast, I was a little full from an early morning kebab but decided to tackle a full fry-up anyhow (Which was outstanding I have to add). I met the Nicest Guy in the World who served us our food, but this brought up more comparisons with the Cardiff equivalent - the little Spanish Lady - who we visit for fried brekkie. Huw had to get into work so we parted company (I'm sure I saw a tear in his eye) and I headed off to meet up with my ex-housemate Helen who lived nearby. I then trundled home after lunch with Helen, feeling fat and absolutely shattered

But, it wasn't time for me to rest - there was in the small matter of the impending Scottish invasion to repel back in Cardiff...

10 Comments:

At 6:33 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

You mention my clumsiness, but fail to also credit my cat-like reflexes which allowed me to catch the glass a mere inch or so from the floor.

It was a pleasure to eat garlic bread and watch Italian Who A Wants A To A Be A Millionaire? with you.

 
At 3:16 pm, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

I feel the same way about London - I'm going up for the day tomorrow, and yes I will sit on the tube and smile at ppl if they catch my eye coz thats the type of person I am - and they will get all freaked out.

And then I shall come home and wash my hands n the water will run black and I'll blow my nose and my snot'll all be black from the smog.

So excited to go to London I tell you!

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

What did the Nicest Guy in the World do to win that title?

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

I know what you mean. I feel the same way everytime I go to Paris, except that everytime it makes me want to stay...although I am learning to really love the country side.
SOunds like such fun- too bad I don't know any french bloggers, I do so crave a fried breakfast ...

 
At 1:13 pm, Blogger deanne thought it was best to say...

Next time, I'll try not to abandon my cigarettes.

 
At 2:27 pm, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

Howdy- congrats!! u have been tagged. visit my blog to know more

 
At 5:07 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Huw - Sorry I didn't mention your feline abilities.

Aarti - I was reliably informed by the London dwelling folk that it's called 'Tube Snot'

Astrid - You will have to ask Huw as he gave hime the title, but he was very friendly!

Mona - The countryside kick bottom compared to the city. There are just too many people and too many cars. You should come over to Britain, I'm sure everyone will get together again sometime.

D - Indeed. I'm still sure that I've met your friend before.

ARV - darn it. I'll get onto it soon, I promise. There's a lot of self-analysis on there though...

 
At 4:19 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

I love how you just HAPPEN to leave out that you met quite a cute American girl that night (AHEMMMM)...

Harumph.

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

I met TWO cute American girls that night!

*grins*

 
At 5:29 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

Now, I hate competition, so you have to say that you met ONE really cute American girl (me) and one just cute American girl (the other American girl). See?

My threats of bodily harm can go beyond lack of Curly posts...don't tempt me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home