Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Wandering

After getting all excited about the cracking game of rugby on the weekend, I decided that I needed to calm myself down somehow. As I was pretty much broke I rang Random Andy to see if he fancied a walk from Swansea along to Mumbles. The sun was out and there was a nice, refreshing wintery chill in the air - Andy agreed that a walk was a good idea and so we set off on our little adventure, taking my new camera out for a spin.

There's a handy cycle path that covers the 5 mile length of waterfront between the city of Swansea and the little town of Mumbles so it isn't at all challenging. First we thought we'd stop by the Vetch football ground to get some memorabilia. Swansea City (The Swans) played here until the end of last season but they've now relocated to a nice new stadium out of town. Inside the ground there were a few too many dodgy looking people already so we chickened out and hot-footed it straight down to the beach.

There was a surprising amount of people on the beach, I'm used to seeing it absolutely empty save two or three dog-walkers or joggers. The sun obviously had a good effect on some of the locals and we sat and watched some kids flying a Red Baron type kite for a few minutes.




Further along the path we noticed that a rugby match was in full flow in St.Helens. We sneaked into one of the entrances and watched the final seconds of the game, it turns out that The Whites of Swansea had just thrashed Llandovery (closest team to where I grew up, so I follow them) 38-5 so I wasn't too happy about that.

After the rugby we saw a few lads playing Lacrosse in the park, I didn't know that anybody played that around here. It looked like fun but we moved on after Andy dragged me away after seeing the "I'm going to ask if I can join in" glint in my eye.



The remaining 3.5 miles to Mumbles wasn't too eventful, the sun had gone down but we decided to walk all the way to the pier to see how that was holding up. The pier (as seen in Twin Town) was pretty quiet but all of a sudden my ears pricked up - the sounds of an amusement arcade belted out of one of the buildings, I hadn't been to one of those for several years so I ran up to the door and bolted through. I got inside and just stared at all the lights for a little while, then got bored and remembered why I hadn't come to an arcade for years - I HATE losing. I refused to put any money in the machines because I knew that I'd just get angry and storm out after spending £20 on a stupid fruit machine. We were in there for about three minutes before I went outside for a breather.

So, we'd reached our destination. There was only one thing for it, walk back again...




..via as many of the pubs as we could manage. Now, there are 13 pubs on a mile stretch of Mumbles as it is - so we avoided the majority of them to save our wallets and our livers any further distress. Halfway back we did the usual British thing of pulling into a Chip Shop for a quick bite to eat, before heading off to another pub.

We got back, drunk, even more skint and knackered.

Job Done.

All the pictures can be found in the usual place

6 Comments:

At 10:57 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

I love living vicariously through you, Curly. That walk sounded wonderful. Too bad a 5 mile walk around these parts would only give view to a Laund-ro-mat, a fake Italian "cucina", a snobby apartment complex, and a Whataburger. I like you view better.

 
At 4:47 pm, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

wow - how did i never see your photo blog before??

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

I like the pic of you & beer- oh and was it not your bithday as of late???
HAPPY BIRTHDAY if it was/is/will be soon :)

 
At 7:23 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

MOH - I can easily find a Laundromat, a fake Italian and even a snobby apartment complex too but I most certainly couldn't find a Whataburger! I wish I could!

ARV - I would usually offer a blonde explanation, but you're not. So I won't.

Mona - Yeah, it was my birthday last Thurs (I think). Thanks! How did you know btw?

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

I work for the secret service....


really...I can't remember- but its the same day as my best friends b-day which is why I remembered, but then I wasn't sure it was you...::)
Happy b-day then- officially

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

I think next time when you got time to spare you should dig a canal under that random placed bridge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home