Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Winter is on it's way

Well, it's been raining for the approximately the last two weeks. I've been soaked through about five times in that period :-

Three of those times I had forgotten my jacket.
Once the rain came down so hard, it almost pierced my coat.
The fifth time, I just decided to have a walk in the rain along the beach, which I enjoyed thoroughly but not as much as I enjoyed the hot chocolate afterwards.

Yesterday we had even more fun in the rain. We travelled out to visit some construction projects with college in West Wales and of course, it was the same day that the weather man said to watch out for floods. We visited a bridge over the river Towy that was currently being built, the designer looked a little panicked as he had designed the bridge to be 8.8 metres above the river - today the river was 5.5 metres higher than usual and was continuing to rise... Good thinking boys.

After the second site visit, we had great fun driving through a giant puddle that half-submerged the car. We made it halfway through the puddle when the car started sounding a little weak, we feared that we would have to swim the rest of the way (Well, I actually HOPED that we would have to swim as that would have been far more fun). After our trip through the puddle, we decided that we couldn't find all the other students and assumed that they had all got washed away so we decided to go home. I didn't fancy sitting in my room in Swansea watching all the cars splashing people on the side of the road, I did the sensible thing and went to the folks house where I could go for a long walk and get covered in mud!

In my last post, I was harping on about how I had such a great ticket... we received a walloping. The Kiwis absoulutely destroyed the Welsh 41-3, and it wasn't a very nice match to watch. Things started going wrong when they went to unfurl a GIANT Welsh flag from the roof of the stadium - it didn't unfurl, it remained tangled up throughout the Welsh national anthem and the Kiwis roaring laughter was almost louder than our singing. Oh dear. I did see Owzy O! though, albeit very briefly as the pub was too loud and too busy (at 12pm) so Eirian and myself re-located to a quieter bar until kick off.


Daniel Carter pushing aside the Welsh with apparent ease on his way to becoming the worlds best no.10

The weekend was an okay one with a couple of house parties, a rugby match, a ferret and me cooking a curry for some friends. The previous weekend was far better, I hadn't counted on that too much. Last Friday I watched The Crimea play in Barfly with my brother - they were absolutely amazing, I thoroughly recommend. A party followed. Saturday was a pub day, Sunday was a walking day and the Monday was a Subways gig in Cardiff Union - pretty good stuff but I was a little too tired to enjoy it which was a bit of a shame.

Up and coming is another rugby match - Wales play Fiji on Friday, we might win that one... Next Thursday, The Martinis and Attack & Defend are playing in The Welsh Club. I'm heading down for that to give them my support, and to have a bit of a drink and a bit of a dance of course... I may even ask them to dedicate a song to Huw.

13 Comments:

At 2:39 pm, Blogger Cleavers thought it was best to say...

Mr Weather Man here says there's a 20% chance of snow tomorrow. Given their unique ability to always predict incorrectly, I'd say we are going to get snow of blizzard-like proportions.

And it's only bloody November.

Give me Welsh rain any day.

 
At 4:10 pm, Anonymous Emma Reese thought it was best to say...

You seem to WANT to get soaked in the rain. Though I woudn't mind it myself if it were Welsh rain. : )

 
At 7:04 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

I think the rain has left Texas forever. Seriously. Yesterday I got teased by hearing a few drops here and there on my window pane here at work, and that was IT! I wish it would rain for 5 days straight here.

It's still 80F and dry. I have my air conditioning on in my apartment. And it's November 9th. Thanks, Texas!

 
At 8:32 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Well, there seems to be a worldwide demand for Welsh Rain - I'll gather some, put in the freezer and send it over to all three of you ladies!

After that, I'm selling it AND charging a huge fee for posting it.

 
At 10:45 pm, Anonymous Emma Reese thought it was best to say...

Wel, Welsh water is being sold already and someone thought of even bottling Welsh air and selling for +-£25. So why not Welsh rain too? But I won't be your customer, I'm afraid. I'd rather go to Wales and get soaked directly!

 
At 5:58 pm, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

I had to walk in the rain to the sixth form block - totally breathless and soaked - to realise the teacher has changed rooms and I had to walk back. It was sodding freezing, the floors slipper coz of 800 kids tramplin in and out of the rain, so i slipped.
but how on earth did the rain pierce ur jacket!

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

At least after the rain you get to see rainbows! Let me know how the concerts go, seems pretty cool :)
Cheers

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger mr. tomas ubik thought it was best to say...

it snowed briefly today....winter is indeed on its way.

 
At 9:23 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

But Emma, you receive a discount of 20% when you subscribe to 'WR (Welsh Rain) Monthly' magazine! There's even a 12 part 'build your own rain collector' to build!

Art - Do you think that it was a joke that all the other teachers played on the 'new girl'?! The rain that almost killed me was razor sharp I swear, I was soaked within about 20 seconds!

Mona - That is a very good point, we saw a rainbow the other day actually, it ended right on my house, which was nice!

Eano - I'm jealous. I want snow.

 
At 3:01 pm, Anonymous Emma Reese thought it was best to say...

My, isn't your blog getting numerous comments? Let me add another again. Curly, your blogs are pleasant to read. I like your clean language. And your description of your everyday life is so interesting to Cambriphiles!

 
At 3:57 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Well thank you Emma Reese, very kind! Best not to read any previous posts if you are a fan of clean language though..!

I'm also glad that I appeal to Cambrophiles! I have to warn you that I'm not your textbook Welshman though, I wouldn't write too many books about the Welsh way of life based on my blog.

 
At 10:34 pm, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

They wouldnt dare pick on me - Im constantly on the verge of crying (well I'm not that bad yet)!

 
At 11:06 pm, Blogger deanne thought it was best to say...

Agggh - the flag thing - so embarrassing. As much as I support the AB's and had a little smirk at it, I thought "Ooo. That can't be a good sign."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home