Thursday, November 17, 2005

Get Up, Recover.

On the night of November 5th, throughout Britain, we commemorate the capture of Guy Fawkes with bonfires and fireworks, and by burning an effigy of Guy.

That's NOVEMBER THE F-I-F-T-H, not before, not after. So would the idiots in the Swansea area PLEASE stop setting off fireworks, nearly two weeks later - it spoils the occasion. It's akin to dragging out Christmas for 12 days.

Brief rant over, I'm a little tired so you'll have to excuse me for my short fuse and explosive temper regarding the matter - I'm that type of Guy. (Puntastic!)

I had a rare, relaxing weekend in Swansea on Saturday and Sunday. The rain of the last month or so has subsided and the clouds have disappeared, causing the temperature to drop considerably, finally! The clear skies and crisp air on Saturday night spurned me to go on a fantastic night-time walk along the beach. Despite one of the beaches being right next to the city, it's a rather nice walk. My destination was a small tourist town called 'Mumbles', about 5 miles away from city centre.


Mumbles, takes its name from the French word 'Mamilles', or 'Breasts' in English... which describes the shape of the rocks at the end of the bay. I only discoved this on a trip to the brand new Waterfront Museum on Saturday afternoon. I would hate to think what people on the street thought as I wandered along murmering 'breasts' and chuckling to myself like a ten year old boy.

One good thing about living in one of Europes most obese areas is that absolutely no-one else was on the beach at 7pm, brilliant! The stars were out, the Moon was bright - its reflection shimmering in the dark water of the sea and the sound of the waves lapping against the shore all made it rather romantic. Especially as I was treated to several (late) firework displays all around the bay. But I was on my own, so I just thought "Wow, this is a great night to have a fire and drink a couple of beers". I reached Mumbles about 1 1/2 hours after setting off, the pubs along the Mile were filling up with the usual crowds but I wasn't joining them tonight so I turned around and headed back - to the smokey, cheese-littered, militaria adorned flat (I can't be bothered to explain, and it's not a Chain-smoking Nazi Mouse, Huw and Cope).

Sunday, invigorated by last nights walk. I headed out again with Andy up Kilvey Hill, about 2 miles walk from my house. It was another fantastic day, it was a shame that I didn't have a camera really. We took a while finding the path up to the top of the hill but after a brief (but scary) detour through one of Swanseas rougher estates, Bon Y Maen, we found the path and headed straight up and perched ourselves on a rocky outcrop where we could take in the fantastic views of Swansea and the bay.

We descended as the sun was disappearing behind the hills, then decided that we needed a pint to put the calories back on. We headed to the 'Pub on the Pond' for A pint, which of course descended into a giant piss-up, being as we are, weak willed.

Tonight, it's the Welsh Club in Cardiff. The Martinis and Attack & Defend are playing. All of the boys are going, some of them are celebrating the music video they made for hotly-tipped local band, the Automatic, reaching the dizzy heights of MTV2. Check out a not-so-good-quality version of the vid here.

Phew. That was a long one. Right, I'm off to make some peanut butter sandwiches.

The view from my office

10 Comments:

At 4:46 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

man..that sounds like a nice weekend to me. I'm jealous, I spent most if it studying :(

I need a beach nearby I guess, or a car to get to the one not so far away. Ok it's decided, I'm going to the beach tomorrow no matter what,screw it!! I wonder if I'll see any bare breasts.....if I do I'll be sure to tell you :)
good luck with your roomie, seems like the situation isn't getting much better....

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

just saw the video..its pretty damn good! rock on

 
At 5:01 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

It was rather nice, ye. I should have been studying as well I suppose but how can you when the weather is so nice?!

Not a bad video eh? I've heard the band on Radio One today so I'm fully expecting the video to start doing the rounds. I'm so chuffed for the boys!

 
At 5:21 pm, Anonymous Emma Reese thought it was best to say...

What a nice walk you had! Did you know you are privileged to be living in Wales by the sea? You can't go on a long walk around here without being harassed by cars or dogs. So I walk in circles in my secluded neighborhood.

 
At 9:54 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

Oh sure...NOW I can get to your comments section after leaving a totally pointless on on your last entry. But will I go and delete it? Nope.

What I WANTED to say is that I find it amazing that you boys over there walk a ton of places and really appreciate beautiful scenery. Can't say the same for people over here. Your stroll along the beach sounded so nice and romantic. I hope one day to see it for myself. I love the beach, even in winter. Thanks for allowing me to paint such a pretty picture in my head!

MMmmm...Peanut Butter.

 
At 2:57 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

We know exactly how privileged we are, yes. And we're incredibly proud of it.

I'm sure there are nice places to go near everyone - I find walking around cities can be really interesting too. Try going somewhere you haven't been before, that's my tip. Even if you don't like it, at least you've been.

 
At 6:36 pm, Blogger deanne thought it was best to say...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who goes for A Pint, and ends up staggering in the door at 3am, with a tube of BBQ flavoured Pringles ("breakfasht!").

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

ha ha! Yep, it happens to the best of us! A couple of weeks ago I came back only to find a load of prawns in my fridge - I just devoured them raw as I was far too hammered to cook them.

My fingers didn't smell the best in the morning...

 
At 9:21 pm, Anonymous Emma Reese thought it was best to say...

And you didn't get sick afterwards....?

Wel, one of the problems in small US towns is there are no safe walking roads for pedestrians. The roads are designed for cars. That's why I walk in my small neighborhood. It's still nice though especially at twilight.

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

So if Britain ever gets pregnant, does that mean that people can collect milk from the breasts in Mumbles rather than from a cow?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home