Monday, October 31, 2005

Home is where you get your meals cooked for you

I love nothing more than the feeling of travelling somewere new, be it thousands of miles away or five miles up the road. But there's one thing that I can't stand about people that travel, tourists. They get in the way.

Growing up near the quite tourist-y town of Llandeilo in West Wales we get exposed to them in the summer, meandering along the roads and walking slowly down the pavement - just generally getting in the way of us locals who have things to do today thank you very much. On the other hand, I'm so proud that they're visiting our part of the world and I'm always more than happy to help with directions or suggest things for them to do and see.

Whenever I've gone away, I tried to strike a balance between these two things that make me so angry but so proud at the same time. I try to see the things that need to be seen, and do the activites that need to be done but I rarely look in the guide books so there's no ambling along in the wrong direction while angry locals queue behind me. I prefer listening to the locals opinions of what is good and what isn't. I also love seeing how the locals live, learning about their cultures and traditions and usually seeing the places that tourists wouldn't get to see. I've met some amazing people this way and seen some wonderful sights.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of visiting the localities of some fellow bloggers to help feed my hunger for travel. I'm thinking of visiting some places next year sometime and I was wondering if you could suggest things to do near you? I realise that this could be a giant task so I'm only going to limit myself to the places that finances allow for. I'm hoping to meet a few bloggers too, but I will understand if it seems too weird meeting a random bloke off the internet.

I've already had a few takers, which is awesome. Let me know shaggybeast@gmail.com, it could be quite an advnture!

Over the last year I've put together a few pictures of the place that I grew up, a small village in West Wales. If anybody is ever visiting the area, I'll be more than happy to find you things to do and show you around.


Welsh traffic Jam

I'm meeting with some bloggers already this Saturday hopefully. I'm going to Cardiff where I hope to run into Owzy and Po (who I know anyway) but there's also a chance that I'll see Aarti and Gav. Should be cool.

19 Comments:

At 4:17 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

Well, if you're ever craving a trip to the Lone Star State, I have a rather comfy futon that you could shack up on! Love to have you, dear blogger friend!

I can't promise that I would be the most entertaining tour guide, as I have not travelled very often or to many exciting places, but I do know of a great bar where you can get any sort of beer you want, from all over the world!

Oh, and Texan girls are pretty(so I hear), so there ya go.

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger Me Over Here thought it was best to say...

P.S.--I'm diggin' the new picture!

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Thanks L, very kind of you. We'll see what happens. I'll have to consult Him Over There after he travels to Tejas.

You'll be over here first though, I'll show you around Swansea no problem!

 
At 4:53 pm, Anonymous Him Over There thought it was best to say...

Growing up in a Cathedral City relatively close to both London and the Channel, I had to put up with quite a lot of The French round my way, especially school trips. We used to marvel at the way they all sported the same green rucksacks, and be infuriated by their shoplifting from Boots: that was our job. They always seemed to congregate outside the only landmark which was familiar to them – McDonalds – bless em.

I have already booked a table at the Workman's Café ahead of your visit, and I think we could spent an enjoyable evening throwing chisels over the wall of Holloway Prison. Let me know if you want to go to Quasar Lazar too. I look forward to your arrival.

Your pupils look mighty dilated in your new profile picture by the way. Anything you wish to share with the group young Curly? Hmmm?

 
At 5:48 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

I will likely be in Cardiff before you would get the chance to travel to St. Paul. So I'll be asking you for advice on good places to go.

 
At 6:55 pm, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

yooo hooo - we are having a big dinner thing at my mums on saturday so Im not gonna make it into town :-(

If ur back the following Sat, thats good, I'm meetin all my old uni mates

 
At 11:59 am, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

Hey Curly!In my area- Brittany France there's the Mont St.Michel with all the sheeps roaming around it before the tide rises, there's St Malo, there's always a ton of music festivals as well...plus there's the gooood food :)

 
At 12:01 pm, Blogger mona thought it was best to say...

ps- I have to say most people around here hate tourists as well but have the same pride factor as you.. I tend to be like you when travelling- take it as it goes and hope for the best- usually its more fun that way!

 
At 7:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous thought it was best to say...

ive been to saint marlos on a french exchange, i let a massive banger off on the beach and nearly blew up my mate, also my other mate set a fire extinguisher off in a lorry, and the owner came back and cried (in french). those were the days, and not a police man in sight.

Charlie

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger mr. tomas ubik thought it was best to say...

like i said...if you get to toronto....the best thing to do is get drunk and soak in a cultural landscape...your euros will even make it a cheap night out.

 
At 9:54 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

HOT (is that a deliberate abbreviation?) - We've spent a bit of time in that particular cathedral city as my aunt lived there, it has far more tourists than we do! Do we throw chisels in the hope that they'll pile up, enabling the inmates to climb out? Not sure what's up with my pupils, perhaps it was dark in there.

Cope - I think you've covered all the touristy places in Cardiff already! I'd be more than happy to recommend a few places though. I do fancy heading to St.Paul though, just becuase no-one else that I know has been there. Adverts for Minnesota don't appear half as much as the adverts for Florida, or not at all actually.

Aarti - Nevermind, I expect I'll be up on a couple of the other weekends this month. Happy Diwali!

Mona - I've not been to France since a stormy camping trip about 7 years ago - that was in Brittany actually. I'd love to go back though, it's not that far either. I would have to polish up my virtually non-existant French so I blend in...

Charlie - He cried, in French?! I'd like to hear someone cry in a different language!

Eano - I definately have to get to Toronto, I'm very gutted I missed it last time. I heard an amazing story about a mad Chinese Canadian (Chinadian) bloke that just gave people lifts all the time, as long as he could take a photo of them with his cats..! We're still on the Pounds Sterling too, that's the reason the Brits are on holiday so much, it's a pretty strong currency as things stand!

 
At 8:37 am, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

Wow, with so many sheep in your city, you must ALWAYS sleep well for every night there seem to be MILLIONS of sheep to count!!!

 
At 8:39 am, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

If you ever come to Holland, I advice you to go canal-biking in Utrecht. Utrecht is like the baby-version of Amsterdam and way less touristic!

 
At 9:46 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Yes, there are hundreds of sheep where my parents live - but sometimes they get in the way of your car when you need to go somewhere quickly, which is baaaad.

I like the sound of Utrecht, I will research it a little more. I went to Groningen a few years ago, we went biking into the city frequently. We also gorged ourselves on chocolate Hagelslag!

 
At 1:51 pm, Blogger Cleavers thought it was best to say...

I second Eano's comment about Toronto - although avoid winter. Brass monkeys. Having said that, just gives you an excuse (like it's needed) to stay inside bars, drink yourself stoopid and chortle riotously when you come out of the pub and fall flat on your arse after falling on the ice.

No, that's never happened to me, honest.

 
At 3:53 pm, Blogger Lucy thought it was best to say...

I WOULD invite you to Tramore but you really shouldn't come. It is wet and dank and smells of rancid piss. Like me.

I will be in Swansea in the new year and expect some greatly undeserved guidance round it. In writing, if the smell of Tramore follows me over.

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

I've beeen to some Irish backwater places before, they weren't too bad. One even had a bit of land that looked as though it was on a slope but when you stopped your car on it, it magically rolled up-hill!

There are many parts of Swansea that also smell of rancid piss, but they can be avoided with some nifty footwork. Provided you're well behaved, I'll show ya around!

 
At 4:07 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

Excellent, but you know that canal-biking is not like normal biking, right? It is just way and way more fun, unless you are afraid of water that is.

 
At 1:50 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

No, I didn't know that Canal biking wasn't the same thing as normal biking - but after investigating, it looks like far more fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home