Monday, October 03, 2005

Good news, for me anyway.

I was a little bit disappointed being out of the country right at the beginning of the rugby season but I've more than made up for the lack of games since I've been back. I'm fully aware that readers may not be fans of rugby, and almost certainly not fans of Welsh rugby. So, I wouldn't bother reading any further if you're favourite sport is Football, Greyhound racing, Cock fighting, Yodeling ....you get the idea.

The Powergen cup kicked off on the weekend, the brand new cross border cup competition between English and Welsh clubs. Four games were played, the Welsh regions winning 3 of them. The Dragons, Blues and Scarlets handsomely defeated Leicester, Saracens and Leeds. The Ospreys unfortunately lost to an overpowering Gloucester side bit it's still a great result for the Welsh lads.

The talk of the town on the weekend though was that Rugby legend Jonah Lomu, the 19 stone (125 kg) winger that can run the 100m in about 10secs, had signed for the Cardiff Blues.


Mr.Lomu in action a few years back

This is HUGE news! Lomu was one of the first rugby superstars, emerging in 1995 when he played an integral part in the New Zealand team that destroyed England in the 1995 world cup. He's been out of the world of rugby for a few years with a rare kidney disease but he's now back, playing in Wales - Welsh rugby is truly great this year... I hope it continues to be.

6 Comments:

At 7:32 pm, Blogger mr. tomas ubik thought it was best to say...

all men over 6'5 and who weigh over 215 here me here and now.

if you are not playing a professional sport, you are lazy....lazy tall huge mother f*ckers that should be ruining small white welsh wingers every day of the week.


*fact

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

You tell em Jay!! That statement is completely true, the guy that plays for Wales in the same position as Lomu is this lad< . He's 5'8 and just touching on 173 lbs.

 
At 8:05 am, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

Rugby is pretty much fun to watch. However, after a while I always have to switch the telly off, coz then I truly start feeling the pains of the players. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Do you play?

 
At 5:09 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

I'm suspicious of Lomu's coming to Cardiff. Why is he not playing in one of the clubs in NZ? There are 18 people in New Zealand and approximately 27 billion rugby clubs -- that Lomu is not there makes me question.

 
At 9:50 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Astrid, rugby is fun to watch, yes. But I only enjoy it becuase I know that it's only the players getting hurt, not me. I don't play unfortunately and haven't since my school days.

Chris, is it suspicious but not for that reason. The NPC (NZ rugby championship) season is drawing to a close and they then have a 4 month 'off season'. The only way that Lomu can get regular rugby is to come to the Northern Hemisphere, where our season is in full swing. He's only signing a 7 month contract and is heading back to the NPC after that period. Unless he becomes injured, again..

 
At 7:18 pm, Blogger mr. tomas ubik thought it was best to say...

haha 18 people in new zealand and 27 billion rugger teams....jokes are funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home