Monday, October 10, 2005

Disappearing Boy

Don't call me up 'cause I'm not home
My whereabouts are now unknown

My landlord must wonder why the hell I'm paying rent at the moment, I've spent the majority of the last month away from the confines of my rented house. I hadn't mentioned that I was going away for about three weeks at the beginning of September and after about a fortnight, my landlord checked my room to see if I was still alive - I wasn't there so he took that as a good thing. He said that he didn't really want to deal with a dead person in his house.

The last couple of weekends have been write-offs. My good friend Sud visited from Sweden from 29th Sep - 3rd Oct. We descended upon Swansea on the Thursday night, then took the circus to Cardiff for the rest of the weekend (Friday IS part of the weekend isn't it?). We usually head to the students union as it's our preffered venue for a good night. People dress how they like, the music is danceable, the drinks are cheap and it's also the closest club to the flat. BUT, it was freshers week and the Union had reached bursting point, no entry for us then. Unbelievable, students taking priority over US in their own bar?! Honestly.

We had a couple of cracking nights out anyway, good times were had in the George (goes without saying) and we had THE funniest taxi ride I've ever been on. Sud is Canadian and a couple of the boys felt like taking the piss a little, but unable to pull off decent Canuck accents, came out with top quality American-isms instead. The breaking point for poor Sud was when Charles asked "Hey, what time's the Superbowl on?"
"I'M NOT EVEN AMERICAN FOR FUCKS SAKE, I'M CANADIAN!" shouted Sud. It's a touchy subject, as is the whole Welsh/English thing, and I'm sure many other countries feel the same way when they get lumped in with their neighbours. Hilarious though.


Surfin' UNA!

The taxi ride took about five minutes but it was one of the most painful five minutes of my life, I was laughing so hard that it felt like I'd done 200 sit-ups.

Sud had a flight home at 5am on Monday, but due to some dodgy bus scheduling he had to get to the airport at 11pm on Sunday to catch the flight in time. 6 hours wait in Cardiff airport is NOT a fun thing to do. It's only small and everything shuts down overnight, all he could do was sit, or sleep.

This weekend I went back home to the folks house. It was me mams birthday so a few of us went down to the kitchen in the pub, where she was working, to surprise her. We did a good job of surprising but she hated it - she doesn't like being fussed over, my mam.

I also went down to the legendary Stradey Park to watch the Scarlets play Newcastle Falcons. Scarlets only just took the game, Jonny Wilkinson starred for Newcastle but it wasn't quite enough in the end. Our no.10, the USA Eagle, Mike Hercus produced a dodgy kicking display but he did get a try to make up for it.


Wilkinson plus two bring down Man of the match Regan King


I like this advert for the game last Friday. For those not in the know, that's the Severn Bridge and the border between England and Wales

The rest of the Welsh Regions got dicked on. Well, the Ospreys came close.

So, back in work. There's lots to do, but it's sunny outside and I'm blogging. Great.

7 Comments:

At 9:47 pm, Blogger mr. tomas ubik thought it was best to say...

now knowing the cultural importance of that bridge, I can confidently say that the above is the best advert for a rugger match I have ever seen.

me likey

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

It is pretty good eh? It's probably the best advert that I've seen too, and I can safely say that we're exposed to a fair few more that you lot are.

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Paige thought it was best to say...

..I said I would continue the Swansea love over here, and so here I am!

I want to be a Canadian in Sweeden visiting in Wales.... that's just about the best combination of countries I can think of.

 
At 8:16 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Feelin the love Paige, feeling the love!

Yeah, Sud does command a pretty nifty combination of countries - his parents are English (but naturalised Canucks) to boot and he's currently shacked up with an Aussie girl - fuck knows what passport they'll give him if everything works out!

Did I read somewhere that you're Latvian?

 
At 7:42 pm, Anonymous Charlie Dvaies thought it was best to say...

I dont know much a bout rugby, but i recognise that bridge, what a beauty.

p.s your amazing and funny, and one of my hero's. all hail Chris and his new order!!!

 
At 7:44 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Nice, love you too mate!

 
At 6:35 pm, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

woah, im loving that picture! Even though in 25 yrs i dont think ive ever seen it look so pretty over the bridge!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home