Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Absence of Fear

The reason that I commenced employment with this company was the lure of a free college course in October of this year. I've been out of the education system since 2000 and, despite a brief foray into University in 2001, I've not studied anything at all since - apart from the floor most Saturday nights. Yesterday was the beginning of my 3 year part-time course in Civil Engineering....

I started off well, I only live 5mins walk from the Uni building which of course meant that I stayed in bed far too long thinking "Ah, I'll be in plenty of time - I only have to fall out of bed and I'm there". I of course wasn't, then realised that I didn't have a clue which room (or indeed, which building) I was supposed to be in. I felt vastly superior to all the 18 year olds running around, but then quickly found myself panicking a little and asking some of these 18 year olds where such and such a building was. I eventually found all my new classmates and breathed a sigh of relief. They were a scruffy bunch, the bulk of them were made up by proper Swansea boys - stupid haircuts with random blonde streaks and they conversed about how they would have "given one from behind" to the receptionist on the floor above. I'm sure that she would have been completely flattered by that remark and would have immediately ripped her clothes off ready for a rogering. Fuckwits.

I settled in pretty quickly, the lecture wasn't remotely interesting and I found myself drifting off after about 5 minutes. I only stayed awake with the help of the girl sat next to me with a sarcastic streak matching the intensity of mine. We both chatted and ripped the piss out of the Swansea lads and the lecturer for about an hour - I thoroughly enjoyed it. The remaining lectures were equally un-interesting. The low-light being an hour long lecture about bulldozers and other heavy machinery. Do you remember the bit in Top Gun where Maverick and Goose mention that they've seen the enemy plane that no-one else has seen before, and Kelly McGillis gets all excited? When one of the students mentioned that he'd seen a bulldozer pulling some other piece of machinery (generally not Bulldozing anyway), our lecturer jumped up from his desk, his speech sped up and I swear he was almost sweating - he was thrilled! "You'll have to tell me about it sometime" he purred.

I spent the rest of the day sitting with a lad called Dan and a girl named Gemma, both nice enough. We finally finished at about 8pm, I'm not looking forward to spending all my Tuesdays like this. I think I'm past the education thing, I wasn't designed for it and would rather just learn about subjects that interest me in my own time. Still, it may pick up and I may find myself enjoying it as much as I enjoy frolicking on the beach.

I saw the receptionist on the way out of one of the lecctures, I'd give her one.

5 Comments:

At 12:38 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

Good to know the Lee Trundle look is still in vogue

 
At 1:42 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Hmmm. I don't like the use of the word 'good' there Huw.

 
At 3:30 pm, Blogger Astrid thought it was best to say...

So you would like to give the receptionist who you saw on your way out a lecture? What would be the topic of your lecture? How to silently chew your gum while talking on the phone?

 
At 11:03 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

I would have given her an invitation to a nice romantic meal in a restaurant overlooking the sea, of course.

The lecture unfortunately wasn't on important life-skills like gum chewing techniques. Building design was one of the topics... I think that I now know how to build a house (learnt within 3 hours).

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

Great, ur lectures and lecturers sound like a right laugh a minute. Engineering?! (I say that in the same tone ppl say to me, TEACHING SECONDARY U SADDO!!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home