Thursday, September 29, 2005

Backlog.

Well, after losing my enitre update while dancing - I've lost the will to properly do it again. So, here's briefly what happened this month:-

Got drunk in Cardiff for an entire week, missed work on one occasion but went bowling all day instead. Went to see Bedouin Soundclash in Cardiff Barfly, they were amazing live and they asked us to show them around Cardiffs nighteries (real word?) afterwards - We obliged of course, and had a blast doing it! They're getting quite a bit of Radio 1 airplay now, check them out if you can.

I then hurtled to Hartlepool (330 miles) for my Friend Jims Wedding. Hartlepool is of course famous for the locals that captured a French ships' mascot (a monkey, dressed in a French uniform) during the Napoleonic wars then tried it as a spy, as the Hartlepool locals were unsure what a Frenchman looked like. Taking the monkeys silence was an admission of guilt, they hung it!

Due to a malfunctioning computer - these are the only pictures that I have...


Ginger Geordie Jim and has brand spanking new wife, Fran.


In the stocks

You may remember that my friend Greggers was having trouble deciding whether he should go to Jims wedding or for to the England v Wales football match. He did neither as he got arrested on the Friday preceeding the events, he was relieved in a way as he didn't have to make such a hard choice!

After the weekend in Hartlepool, I sped down to Swansea (via Sherwood Forest, of Robin Hood fame, because I got lost) and then legged it to London to stay with my mate Conor from Dublin. We both went to the airport in the morning and went our seperate ways, Conor was off to Estonia while I veered to the left a little and went to Sweden.

Uppsala is about 40km North of Stockholm and is very nice indeed. It seems to be a University city mainly (and the university is the oldest in Scandinavia) so although it looks olde worlde, it has a very youthful feel about it. I managed to get some pics of the buildings, found here.

I stayed in a town called Flogsta, where the University accomodation is located. I stayed in a room with my Canadian friend, Sud. The others on the corridor included Jari (from Finland, great guy, row of pink tents springs to mind), Sara (Adorable), Cecilia (funny as hell, she spoke very good English but this made way for several hilarious faux pas), Teshome (from Ethiopia, he was 32 but hadn't experienced other cultures before, we taught him a lot..), Marie (From France, she had one of the sexiest French accents I've ever heard), David & Christoffer (Their English wasn't amazing so they didn't talk much, but they laughed a lot) and Marika (Not a student and enjoyed rescuing cats).

Sud and myself partied hard, the others joined in on various occasions. Photos.

We had an amazing time, I'll definately be back at some point to learn more of the language and also to explore more of the beautiful countryside.

While you probably know that dynamite was invented by a Swede named Mr.Nobel, did you know that they also came up with the idea of the safety match and paraffin cookers - it seems they enjoy setting things on fire... and the chap that came up with the the Celcius temperature scale was Swedish, Anders Celcius. Hans Blix (chief UN weapons inspector in Iraq a while ago, was an Uppsala resident).

So that's a rough summary - to keep you up to date completely, I spent last weekend in Cardiff with the boys. We went to see Attack & Defend and The Automatic in the Welsh Club, which was brilliant. Both bands are pretty good to watch live, Attack & Defend frontman Mark is hilarious to watch! I also meant to see 3 Colours Red, a favourite band from my youth who have reformed recently, but no-one fancied going and I was too scared to go on my own. Nevermind.

It's Thursday today, Sud has just flown over from Sweden - we'll be hitting the town tonight along with Random Andy. Sud lived with us in Cardiff for a summer so we'll be back down there again on the weekend so he can re-live the good times!

Phew.

7 Comments:

At 3:38 pm, Blogger Chris Cope thought it was best to say...

You're just going to skip over why your friend was arrested? And what happened to pictures of people dressed as Vikings?

 
At 4:00 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Well, I was trying to keep it short....

The reason Greggers was arrested:-
Greggers plus several others managed to get hold of the keys to the pub that they were working in, and after nights out in the club, came back and had lock-ins until 5am for an entire week! Not so bad I hear you say. But, they didn't pay for a single drink and between them managed to consume about £200 worth of alcohol every night... he's got away with it though as there wasn't any substantial CCTV footage of him stealing anything.

I saw the Vikings sitting outside that Viking shop (naturally) but didn't have the camera on me. I went back the next day to take some snaps but I was told that the people that dressed up weren't working that day. I was keen to dress myself up as a viking but I wasn't allowed to touch the swords/helmets etc - I wasn't too happy about that. So, no pics unfortunately Chris!

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

Because I'm nosey, I took the opportunity to have a bit a of a goosey at some of your other jaunts on your pictures site.

That girl Tash, in the Southampton '01 pictures. I know her. Not well, but I know her.

 
At 2:30 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Absolutely no offence Huw, but a lot of people know her if you know what I mean. She lives in South West London though, what's the connection?

 
At 7:32 am, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

Same hometown. She used to go out with a mate of mine.

 
At 9:22 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

I was drunk when I wrote that, made her sound like a bit of a whore didn't I? Didn't know that I was so harsh under the influence!

No, Tash is great - she was in the same corridor as me in halls in Southampton. I still see her around occasionally, I'm not too sure where she is at the moment, think she's in London.

Pretty random you knowing her though eh?

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger Huw thought it was best to say...

From what I remember, it seemed a fair comment...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home