Saturday, February 12, 2005

It's been a cracker!

What a load of fun the last week has brought! The win against England last week and now a comprehensive routing of the Italians! Brilliant! I managed to get myself a ticket for the England game and I found myself perfectly placed to see the only try of the game by a certain Shane Williams (found in the Rugby dictionary under 'Welsh Wizard'). I had great fun in the match - although my poor throat was threatening to rip apart after all the singing before and during the match - I had an absolutely amazing time! As most of you know, we ended up winning 11-9 after a Henson penalty (Gavin Henson, v, One who is Arrogant enough to play for England). I was sat next to a guy from Swindon for the match and as disappointed as he was that he'd lost the match, he was more pissed off by the fact that I'd spilt beer over his jacket every time I jumped up out of my seat - which was quite a lot in 80 minutes!! A guy named Paddy on the other side of me probably had a few bruises on his shoulder the next morning as I was beating the shit out of him (with excitement) after we won! After the game I literally bounced out of the stadium, people were coming up to me and hugging me in the street - I obviously looked as a happy as I felt! I made it back to the George to meet up with everyone else (after ringing pretty much everyone on my mobile) and the place was just bouncing! I've seriously not been that happy for years!! My brother had come down for the Craic as well and I think he was a bit shocked that his elder brother could be so loud! Got very drunk - what else could I do?!

On the Sunday I was still grinning but there was no shouting whatsoever as my voice had completely gone - I could only manage a squeek whenever someone mentioned the previous afternoons result! Still not sure I'm over it... My voice didn't come back properly until Wednesday and even then it'd been over-used to the point that it had reached Owzy O deep-ness! Ireland stuck one over Italy and The Scots almost had France - my heart goes out to the unlucky bastards!

The last week I've been sitting round at home - I 've quit the job in the welders and am now waiting for the HR BS to be over and done with so I can start the new job in Swansea. It didn't help the boredom that we were playing Italy today - I've been thinking about it all week - I had another dream that I was playing in the team (It's the second Friday night in a row that I've woken up with my legs all sweaty after 'running in a few tries' in my sleep!! So the score today, 38-8, over the Azzuri - what a good game! The back were electric and the forwards, after early pressure, ended up getting the upper hand over the powerful Italian front five! Cockbain and Sidoli were outstanding (and rewarded with a try each), as were Martin and Shane Williams (Also a try a-piece). A few more errors though - The lineout needs to be sorted and we need to get Charvis back to get the ball out from those rucks even quicker - it's France next and we'll need to Iron out those creases from today. We'll see how the French do tomorrow - will they Croak (Geddit?) under the pressure of the English pack or will they actually turn up and play that amazing free-flowing game that we all know they can? A tough call but I'm going with England to win...just.

Wow, that beer has just gone straight to my head - I think I might have a bath to get rid of the tension in my shoulders after the game... can't imagine what I'd be like if I'd actually played - I would have seized up with nerves in the changing rooms no doubt! Wow. I'm so chuffed, again. Glad I watched the game at home with my dad - it inhibits my jumping around, drinking and screaming a little! It's far healthier anyways!

Phew, I need another drink.

3 Comments:

At 10:08 pm, Blogger Art thought it was best to say...

Im not a huge rugby fan, i watch when its us v england usually and thats it... can we win? or is that just being too optimistic?

 
At 2:02 am, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

We CAN win... it all depends on how much the remaining three teams don't want us to win.... beating England and Italy has been two great steps towards winning the Six Nations but to beat France in two weeks, then Scotland and Ireland to follow is quite a big ask for the boys... The last games are on 19th March - you should come out and see what it's like.. (HINT: it's fun..)

 
At 7:47 pm, Blogger Owzyo! thought it was best to say...

We won & then some...
'Welsh wizard' is well used but there was a mention of 'Diminutive Dancer' which I thought was genius!
Tell you what the French are there for the taking in a fortnight's time - that they won is good for us as they'll have an element of complacency...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home