Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Welcome to Vancouver!

The trip down here was a pretty tough one, Ryan picked me up at around 6:30am yesterday and we quickly went to Starbucks to get a caffeine fix. I've only ever once been to a Starbucks, they kind of scare me. I always panic when I'm inside (The same panic that you get when you've accidentally wandered into the women's underwear section in a shop and the assistant says "See anything you like?") as I don't know how to order coffee properly. When asked what I would like, I always reply "Coffee", "What type?" "Normal" "We don't serve Normal, the list is here.." (Produces a list of drinks names which I'm convinced have been made up on the spot) So I get the 'Mocha-shata-lota-fish-rappa' blend. "Which size cup would you like?" "Normal?...." What a friggin nightmare.

The journey took us about 12hrs in the end, plain sailing through the (Spectacular) Rockies. Felt knackered but I couldn't sleep as I didn't want to miss any of the stunning scenery. Huge mountains all around you (snow capped for extra pretty-ness) and Ice-blue rivers snaking along the valley bottom. Places like Banff and Lake Louise are all on the way down to Van, quite fun locations themselves. Went to Banff the other day and to a place called Johnston Canyon, a pretty nifty little gorge. The canyon was decorated with Waterfalls, pools, rapids and some unusual bodies of water called 'Inkpots' (Pools of 'ink' coloured water, like a natural lava lamp, kinds). Loads of tourists (hate them...) turned up at the same place and mildy annoyed me so I stood on top of one of the lovely waterfalls and removed all of my clothes... bar the kegs (it was cold..) much to the disgust of a small group of Japanese people and an elderly couple. Other people saw the funny side though!

Made good time, fell asleep for about 20mins at a time. Got out to re-fill on gas and to stretch legs every now and then. A traffic jam about 100km from Van held us up for an hour - wouldn't mind usually but I was already bursting for a piss after an hour of waiting. Not pleasant.

Got to Van in the end, Ryan dropped me off at UBC (University of British Columbia) and Suds house. The last couple of hours of the trip got a bit slow, 10hrs in the car with Ryan and conversation was running thin! We both tried to tell jokes but our tired heads could never remember the punchline or the point of the funny story! We were in good spirits all the same.

I had been awake for over 25hrs as I didn't get to bed the night we set off. I got to Suds, made a nice cup of tea and tucked myself up in bed..... Nah, not really - we went to the Students union for a couple of jugs of beer and some chicken wings. Then descended upon downtown Van once more! A hostel bar was visited, met some cool people in the form of an Essex guy called Chris and a Welsh/Australian guy. If I was in any doubt as to his Welsh heritage, he took his shirt off and showed a tattoo of the Oz and Welsh flags crossed, then said he was from LLanrumny originally! On to Doolins for more drink and dome crap dancing. Got home, wasted, very tired and covered in Mud (?).

Another trip to downtown is arranged for tonight with Ryan and his buddy Jamie. Good times!

8 Comments:

At 9:43 pm, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

Llanrumney? Shudder...
Its easier not to drink coffee and stick to Ribena, really. Even Starbucks Hot Chocolate is absolutely grim.
Those inkpot things sound great! As for the mountains, part of my honeymoon involved one hotel, first thing in the morning, you could look out of the window and see the Himalayas' peaks over the clouds, was gorgeous. So I am jealous. Can you pretend your in the UK, wet and cold like the rest of us?

 
At 9:44 pm, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

I feel like I should apologise, I know I have a very "me me me" attitude.

 
At 10:46 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

I'll pretend I'm in the UK if I get a muffin...!

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

Forget it! The Tescos Finest double chocolate with white chocolate chips are All Mine.

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:02 am, Blogger Aarti thought it was best to say...

sorry, i wrote same thing twice.
such a girl

 
At 8:20 pm, Blogger Owzyo! thought it was best to say...

Where did the mud come from?

 
At 11:31 pm, Blogger Curly thought it was best to say...

Not sure about the mud really. Think it could have been a construction site. Was quite hazy by the tim I got home obviously!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home